question

bobjack avatar image
bobjack asked

What mains inverter charger has dual voltages?

I want one that takes 230v and 120v.

battery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
mvas avatar image
mvas answered ·

I assume, 120 v means USA and 230 v means Europe? The MultiPlus 2x120 does kind-of support 120 30A Single-Phase and 240v Split-Phase, both USA. I think, you would need to connect a set-up transformer, a step-down transformer or an auto-transformer to the AC Input, of single voltage Victron Inverter/Charger, to support both 120v USA and 230v Europe.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@BobJack

Depends on your battery voltage. The centaur does as well.

2 |3000

Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

Victron does not make a dual voltage inverter/charger.

The typical solution is a transformer at the AC input to accommodate different grid/shore power voltages. The choice of the inverter/charger is based on your AC load voltage which generally does not change. The loads do need to accommodate 50 and 60 Hz AC.

Another option is to use separate inverter and charger. As Alexandra says, Victron chargers (at least many of them) accept a wide AC input voltage range, handling 120 volt and 230 or even 240 volt shore power connections without any changes. In this case, the charger and inverter are both operating. One advantage of this approach is that the frequency seen by the AC loads is constant.

2 |3000