question

bartrs avatar image
bartrs asked

Generator shows too much load on VRM

Hi everybody, I've added a second Multiplus ('Generator') that feeds the 1st Multiplus, this to add more power during peak AC moments.
All is working great since a week or so but when I just checked VRM I noticed strange numbers.

The Generator shown in VRM is the added Multiplus, why does it says 1781W when the main loads are 446W?

img-5076.jpg

VRM
img-5076.jpg (507.6 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
mvas avatar image
mvas answered ·

Did you connect the two MultiPlus together in parallel mode?

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bartrs avatar image bartrs commented ·
Hi, I plugged AC-out to the AC-in. No other connection between both multi's.
0 Likes 0 ·
bartrs avatar image
bartrs answered ·

I went home and found the new Multi (Generator in VRM) with cooling fans on, plugged the mk3 in and saw this:

tempimageisuntk.gif

Although AC loads in VRM said 446W, I still checked the house for any loads, nothing to find that could cause a 9,4A load.

So I plugged in an electric heater (3kW):

img-5079.png

Unplugged the heater:

75b51274-1f83-4171-974c-c9ca7e879212.jpg

All looks great now, but I have no idea what caused this behavior.....

2 |3000

bartrs avatar image
bartrs answered ·

Well, we're over an hour further and again, odd numbers which doesn't make sense to me:

img-5090.png

img-5090.png (600.1 KiB)
2 |3000

ponzoa avatar image
ponzoa answered ·

If you connected the two Multi's in series, to which one is the GX device connected to? The Multi's where not designed to be connected in series. This is likely the cause of your strange readins.

If you want extra power, you need two (or more) identical Multi's and connect them in parallel. Before experimenting with this though, be sure to read up on how to do this as it's easy to make errors which affect performance.

There is plenty of documentation and training in the Victron websites. Reading "Wireing Unlimited" would helpo a lot also.

3 comments
2 |3000

bartrs avatar image bartrs commented ·

The 'Old' Multi was and still is connected to the Cerbo GX.

Both Multi's are identical and will certainly look into parallel, thanks for this advice.

Call me a bit stubborn, sorry, but I don't see the difference between a real Generator being driven by petrol or a 2nd Multi driven by a battery, both being connected to the AC-in of a Multi. I mean, voltage going in the old Multi, does it really matter where the voltage is coming from?

I have just updated all device with latest firmware, let's see if this makes a difference, if not I will definitely be going for parallel as you suggested.

Thanks again for taking you time to reply, much appreciated !

0 Likes 0 ·
delf67 avatar image delf67 commented ·
The OP is quite clear the 1st multi is what the VRM shows as the generator. The GX is connected to the second. There is no problem connecting any inverter to the AC in on a multi. The multi is designed to accept mains voltage on the AC in, and in this case the Mains voltage is supplied by another multi.

I agree it would be better to connect them in parallel, but maybe the OP can't parallel them as they may be different sizes or hardware versions.

0 Likes 0 ·
bartrs avatar image bartrs delf67 commented ·

Thanks, the only reason I've connected them this way is that is was/is much quicker than parallel. Both Multi's are 48/5000/70-50, but I've read somewhere there's something else that needs to be identical? The first four digits?

Will definitely looking into this if the current setup fails, although it has been working great and tested over a week now.

0 Likes 0 ·
bartrs avatar image
bartrs answered ·

Updated all firmware from all devices.
Let's wait and see how and if it develops in the next few hours.
Fingers crossed!

1478ee88-6404-444f-a154-7a231229ea1d.jpg

2 |3000

bartrs avatar image
bartrs answered ·

After having it tested for several months I can now confirm it's running the way I wanted:

Multi 1 (connected to Cerbo); I use the virtual switch to avoid 'grid' (2nd multi) unless loads are higher than set.

I can now use their potential AND be able to charge the battery automatically (2nd Multi connected to grid) by SOC when needed in case of no sun.

No more funny readings and no more fans running when there was no load anyway.

I love the sun/summer but in this case I can't wait for the winter haha.

2 |3000