question

glt avatar image
glt asked

Can I use a Smart Battery Sense with a SmartShunt 500 A

I currently have the Victron MPPT 100/30 and Smart Battery Sense combination installed on AGM batteries. I am looking at installing a Victron SmartShunt 500 A. Can I continue to use the existing Smart Battery Sense to detect voltage and temperature for MPPT through VictronConnect or do I need to remove the Smart Battery Sense and replace it with the Temperature sensor for BMV-712 Smart?

MPPT SmartSolarSmartShuntSmart Battery Sense
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) answered ·

Hi,

Although they can be connected to the same VE.Smart network (as long as they are connected to the same battery), best is to have the temperature sensor for the BMV. In that case, the Smart Battery Sense can be removed from the system and there is only 1 source of information for the MPPT and that is the BMV.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ejrossouw avatar image
ejrossouw answered ·

You should only have one as per the manual. "It is not possible to measure multiple battery temperatures/voltages/charge currents: only one Smart Battery Sense, or one BMV can be used in a system."

1 comment
2 |3000

glt avatar image glt commented ·

Thanks. I appreciate that I can only have one, but the question is can I continue to use the Smart Battery Sense with the Victron SmartShunt 500 A, or do I need to remove the Smart Battery Sense and replace it with the temperature sensor for BMV-712 Smart?

0 Likes 0 ·
s1277 avatar image
s1277 answered ·

Here is a chart which describes the different sensors:
https://www.victronenergy.com/live/temperature_sensors

2 |3000