question

tedownes avatar image
tedownes asked

Anyone running a managed battery with a old 19 microprocessor Multiplus

Has anyone got a managed battery to work with a old Multiplus? Looking through the data, it looks like a managed battery requires either DVCC or ESS to pass the battery data onto the Multiplus but these require Multiplus firmware that exceeds what is available for old 19 series microcontrollers.

I have a Multiplus with a 19 microcontoller and am looking at going lithium hence the question. Can't beat Pylontech for the money but I am thinking it's not going to be compatible, the Multiplus will not get the DVCC signal, overcharge the battery and cause it to disconnect. I guess a self managed lithium with no communication port (Sterling Power AMPS for example) will work OK and I can keep the BMV for SOC info. Any info of what people have managed to do with an old Multiplus would be useful.

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerESSPylontechDVCC
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@tedownes

Yep, DVCC is not compatible with the 19 processor.

You can use the BMV and run the batteries dumb programmed with the correct voltages, they will be fine with the lithium profile. I am not sure if that is (lithium profile) an option on the older firmware. But make sure equalization is off anyway and temp compensation.

There are plenty of systems out there that run them dumb and I am not referring to victron here.

The one thing to check though with the supplier is will it void the warranty?

DVCC is forced on by the pylontec with the new firmware so connecting them even for just data is not possible either unless there is a mod out there for that (probably is).

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

tedownes avatar image tedownes commented ·
@Alexandra Thanks for the prompt answer. Two things...

Firstly for completeness of your answer for others who may read this, I have had a quick look on VEconfig and can confirm the following on my 19 processor running firmware 209. I do have a battery type (profile) for LiFePo4, there is actually two. The first is simply LiFePo4 which I can select and the other being Victron Smart Lithium with VE Bus BMS which if I try and select I get a message warning the Multi firmware does not support it and so can't select it. This i think shows further that the Multi is compatable with charging 'dumb' lithium batteries but the charger in the Multi can't be externally controlled by a managed battery via a GX device.

Secondly a question. Can a Pylontech be used as a dumb battery, not sure if you were suggesting that in your answer? I believe a Pylontech needs a keep alive signal otherwise it would turn off and I guess this would come from Venus OS so it would not stay connected in a dumb setup.

0 Likes 0 ·