question

gfhughes avatar image
gfhughes asked

SmartSolar + Orion Smart DC-DC Charger

I have a house bank and a starter battery. I am thinking of switching the house bank to lithium. I was planning to use a Orion-Tr Smart DC-DC Charger to charge my house bank from the starter/alternator when the engine is running, and at all other times charge my house bank from a SmartSolar 100/30 charger.

Will the 2 chargers interfer with each other if the engine is running and the solar array is generating power? I have read some people use a relay so that the solar controller is disabled when the ignition is enabled, but I don't see anything like that in schematics on the Victron site.

For reference, this schematic is basically the setup I am going for with a 2x AC chargers (house and starter) and then a Solar and DC->DC charger for the house. I don't see anything in this schematic that would disable the SmartSolar or AC charger if the engine were to be running, so my hunch is that it will all just work.

Schematic

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/VE-direct-drawing-with-Phoenix-charger-12-50-1-inverter-375W-Li-Batt-smallBMS-MPPT-100-30-Orion-Tr-smart.pdf?fbclid=IwAR0z1pjkNNQfCrJxDmda-5v7cGCS6sA3I4ApDlT_uoupQhsNmwrhcF-UTps

MPPT SmartSolarorion-tr smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

In general, no need to disable. If both chargers have exactly the same charge settings, they'll work together.

Some reasons for disconnect

Burn out alternator (very real possibility with a big lithium bank, but the disconnect would be alternator to lithium charge)

Poor wiring that allows house bank loads to draw from starter battery

Different chemistries.

Charging batteries too quickly.

No reason to disconnect in your case. The Orion takes care of the different chemistries. Just make sure that total load on the alternator is no more than 50% of alternator output once the starter batteries have recharged. And set a decent delay in the Orion to start charging once the starter battery is charged.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

gfhughes avatar image gfhughes commented ·

Thanks. I think "Charging batteries too quickly." is a key concept I didn't think of (though not a problem in my case, but good to think about). Obviously though the wire gauge and fuses need to be able to support the total amperage of all chargers.

Regarding the 50% of alternator. I don't know what mine is rated, but the most I have seen it output is a 35amps. I don't see anywhere in the manual where I could limit the output of the Orion to 15amps. Do you have any thoughts?

I suppose I could get the 18a "isolated" version and then maybe just tie the grounds together.

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ gfhughes commented ·
You can't limit Orion charge rates, they're voltage controlled. Guessing the 18A would be ok. Yes you can join the negatives.
0 Likes 0 ·
mvas avatar image
mvas answered ·

Ask those people that disable their solar charger, via a relay ... Why are they doing that?

During Bulk Charge mode, both chargers could provide charging amps, on a sunny day, while driving. Can your battery bank handle the total amps from both chargers? If yes, then that is a good thing - battery will recharge faster. If no, then maybe that is why they disable the solar charger?

2 |3000

jamesmcclatchey avatar image
jamesmcclatchey answered ·

orion-with-mppt.png

Screenshot from VRM driving down the road with 30 amp DC-DC charger(125 watts), full sunlight 400 amp solar panels through MPPT controller (123 watts), and running refrigerator at 340 watts. I am getting something from both, but still discharging the battery (100 watts). How can I make the 2 systems produce enough to make the 350 watts needed?

orion-with-mppt.png (77.2 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
A 30A DC:DC charger should be giving over 300W. Check its status with Victron connect.

On the solar side, check the cabling for loose connections, wire breaks, high resistance etc. You may have faulty panel(s).

0 Likes 0 ·