question

bluelagoon avatar image
bluelagoon asked

Wiring 2 Multiplus II in Parallel AC Side

Victron Forum,

I need to verify some assumption that go against my understand and experience when it comes to 120v AC power.

1. I was told, but have not found any clear documentation supporting this. In the below diagram, if I set up the inverters for parallel operations. In AC Pass Through mode. The inverters will sync the AC Power which means that both inverters can connect to a single AC Distribution Panel via a busbar. 2. This is also true with the inverters are drawing power from the batteries.

3. In this configuration I can potentially get 120v 100Amps to 150a (Assist Mode). I can configure the inverter's Max Current output. I am thinking 70 - 80 amps because of AC units.

4. There is no 240V on my boat, all 120v AC Single Phase. Does it make more sense just to bring in one 120v Hot and Neutral line and wire the AC input in parallel. Outside of a simpler configuration, what are the other benefits? What is the expected maximum amperage?

The drawing is missing breakers, fuses and Victron sync cables.

ac-parallel-multiplus-ii.jpg

Can someone provide me some links showing two Charger / Inverters wired in parallel. I thought Quatro had one but unable to find. Also I have read the Multiplus Manual and Wiring Unlimited. They do not describe the above configuration only paralleling the AC input, again seems the right approach. Only 240v systems have a close example. Any other documentation or examples on Parallel 120V configuration would be most helpful.

Cheers.

multiplus in parallel
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
derrick thomas avatar image
derrick thomas answered ·

Since you mention both 120 and 240 volts I assume you are North American setup boat? Do you have split phase 240 shore connection or only 30 amp single phase? If you have 50 amp split phase input but don't actually have any 240 volt appliances I would consider the 2x120 models. They are specifically designed for this purpose. Otherwise just stay with the single phase 120 models.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bluelagoon avatar image
bluelagoon answered ·

Derrick,

Thanks for the response. I do not have any 240v appliances at this time. I might remove my propane stove and replace it with inductions but that a way in the future replacement.

After re-reading the Victron Manual and watching some videos. I think I will take your suggestion and stay with the single phase approach.

Cheers,

1 comment
2 |3000

mvas avatar image mvas commented ·
Why not buy an Inverter that supports 30 Amp Single Phase today and will automatically support 50 Amp Split Phase, when needed, in the future?
0 Likes 0 ·