question

Rupert Hollom avatar image
Rupert Hollom asked

ESS and Grid Passthru

We have an Quattro 48 linked to a wind turbine, lead acid batteries with a grid connection available (but currently off via the RCB)

I would like the system to use power from the batteries as much as possible, but when the low battery warning is triggered switch to passthru from the Grid - I do not want to charge the batteries from the Grid.

ESS is configured as follows:

Mode: Optimised (with BatteryLife)
Grid Metering: Inverter/Charger
BatteryLife State: Self-consumption
Grid setpoint: 100W

Is this something that can be done via ESS?

I was thinking about using the General User flag triggered by a low voltage, and tie AC1 input to that flag to allow it to toggle, but as I understand it ESS uses a dynamic setting for the low voltage trigger.

Thanks in advance for any help/info

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerESSgrid
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Jason - UK avatar image
Jason - UK answered ·

@Rupert Hollom is it charging the batteries or is it maintaining the minimum voltage of the batteries in a low battery situation?

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Rupert Hollom avatar image Rupert Hollom commented ·
@Jason - UK I am not sure tbh, it has been a while since we actually had the grid connected to the inverter - I will experiment and feed back...
0 Likes 0 ·
Rupert Hollom avatar image
Rupert Hollom answered ·

@Jason - UK It is just maintaining the minimum voltage of the batteries when they are low.

Should it also pass thru the mains power to the loads when there is not enough charge in the batteries to support the load?

2 comments
2 |3000

Jason - UK avatar image Jason - UK commented ·
@Rupert Hollom , yes it would pass though otherwise how would the ESS power your loads. When the batteries hit a minimum voltage, the inverter wont operate but to prevent the battery from getting too low, the Multiplus will maintain that minimum voltage therefore in a low voltage situation, the power can only come from the AC in.
1 Like 1 ·
Rupert Hollom avatar image Rupert Hollom Jason - UK commented ·
@Jason - UK Thank you, I thought that would be the case, but am new to all of this so wanted to check :-)
0 Likes 0 ·