question

stevecarter avatar image
stevecarter asked

Multiplus 48/5000/70-100

We have this unit together with solar panels charging the battery bank of 24 Leoch LRC2-1000 cells in a community narrowboat. All was well since April 2021 but on 7 April this year the data shows that the absorption voltage went up to 60.3 volts for a while. On one occasion the battery was showing 100% SOC but the Multiplus was still pumping 3 kW into the battery whilst showing absorption. As expected, the cells got very hot and cases distorted.

It seems to have settled down and we are still using battery on a daily basis. We intend to replace battery but do not want it to happen again. We don't know what caused the problem. Any idea please?

battery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
matt1309 avatar image
matt1309 answered ·

Sounds like a setting is off somewhere in the system.

I would check on absorption voltage set within VeConfigure. If you have solar/using MPPT charge controller for solar i would also check the absorption voltage on that device to ensure it's not too high.
If you're using AC coupled solar, you'll need to ensure frequency shifting is setup to prevent the system from overcharging the battery.
I would be really careful with the damaged batteries if i were you.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.