question

kevincalm avatar image
kevincalm asked

no charging when inverter is OFF

My inverter and charger are separate so it's not making sense why batteries are not charging when inverter is off. I don't remember this being the case before.

battery charging
5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
We need a lot more information about your system and your components to help you.
0 Likes 0 ·
kevincalm avatar image kevincalm Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
Right now I'm looking for possibilities based on a typical system. I don't want to go too deep on specifics yet...just some common root causes that apply to most systems. Thanks
0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ kevincalm commented ·

Are these victron systems? If so, what models. How are they connected? What battery? What bms? It is relevant. No one can help you with such vague information. As per the site terms, please detail your installation.

0 Likes 0 ·
kevincalm avatar image kevincalm nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
Victron Smartsolar MPPT charger, Giandel inverter and Amperetime Lithium batteries. Charger and inverter are both connected to battery bank thru master fuse. 1400W, 24V system (12V batteries connected in 2s2p arrangement).
0 Likes 0 ·
Michelle Konzack avatar image Michelle Konzack kevincalm commented ·
I just re-read the last sentence.

You have only one fuse for the Charger and Inverter together?

This sound like the fuse is blown.

Please use SEPERATED fuses for the MPPT and Inverter.

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
mvas avatar image
mvas answered ·

Are your batteries fully charged? When your charger is OFF, what is the voltage of the battery pack? Are you sure the MPPT is actually charging the battery bank, or is it just offsetting the amps used by the inverter / load? Did any settings in the MPPT change? Could the BMS in the battery, block charging current. Any way to reset?

Change you charge the batteries with a standard charger?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevincalm avatar image
kevincalm answered ·

The batteries had been drained (22V) triggering the inverter alarm and shutting it down. This has happened before and seems typical. After removing all loads and turning inverter back on the batteries began charging. When I turned inverter off the charging stopped. This is not typical. I don't see how the inverter can affect charging like that. Thanks

2 |3000

Michelle Konzack avatar image
Michelle Konzack answered ·

Since the MPPT need 5V more then the battery Voltage to startup, maybe your panels do not deliver enough voltage (hence at least 27V) while starting the Inverter it pull down the voltage deeper and the battery start charging.

1 comment
2 |3000

Michelle Konzack avatar image Michelle Konzack commented ·
However, your question lake of info's, e.G. which kind of Batteries, which Solarpanels, in series or parallel?
0 Likes 0 ·