question

woody765 avatar image
woody765 asked

What charge profile? Power supply or charge?

Hello,

I hope you can help me, I am new to the Victron Community.

Background:

My van is a ford transit custom 2016 with a 12v roof-mounted air conditioning unit. (it actually steps up to 24v inside the unit). I transport animals.

The power supply is provided by the vans alternator (i think or from the engine battery) and into an Orion-Tr Smart 12/12-30A non-isolated DC-DC charger, which charge's 2x 100 amp calcium leisure battery, in parallel. (couldn't afford lithium, yet!)

My auto electrician has installed the system and so far it's ok-ish. I have taken a number of meter readings on the batteries and noticed the batteries seem to be at a constant 12v.

Which is odd, at 12v they are technically discharged.

I connected with the app and noticed that the Orion-Tr Smart is set up as "power supply mode" and the output voltage is set to 12v. Which may explain the 12v readings i have.

When I run a multimeter across the battery and increase this setting to 12.2v it increases straight away (engine on).

My question is, would I be better to

1. Set the voltage higher so the battery's charge? e.g. 12.7v

or

2. reconfigure the Orion to be in "charge mode" ?

It just seems odd to have the battery not fully charged, whilst in "power supply mode, output set to 12v) but if that setting at 12v, I can see why.

I run the air con for 2-3 hours per day, it draws 14 amp hours. Unless set to max then it can draw 40amp hours. (ouch!)

This exercise and set-up has been a bit of an experiment for myself and my auto electrician but if it goes well I will be installing it on further vans.

Thoughts and suggestions would be welcome.

Many thanks!

orion-tr smartorion dc-dc
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

woody765 avatar image woody765 commented ·
Hi, Is there any way to in touch with product support?

many thanks

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Guessing it's in power supply mode for the AC unit. Assuming it's a standard vehicle AC unit, it will be able to take charge voltage of your batteries. But best check.

If that's the case, increasing the voltage to the float setting of the batteries would be the minimum intervention.

Personally I'd change to charger mode, set the absorption and float values according to battery maker specs and.... Either play around with engine autodetect or wire an on/off system using the LH terminals and a switched ignition feed. Important to get this right, otherwise you risk flattening your starter battery. Might be that the installer has already got this configured properly.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

simonwood avatar image
simonwood answered ·

Hi,

Thank you for the reply. I am going to try and switch to charger mode. However I can’t seem to find any specs for the batteries I brought online.

Cheers

1 comment
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Probably best to Google something like lead calcium charging

If that doesn't work, use a normal AGM setting, Victron deep discharge 2 probably best.

0 Likes 0 ·