question

badwolf avatar image
badwolf asked

Looking for a cleaner way to show Orion "Smart" output

Looking for a better way to show Orion Smart DCDC output in VRM/GX Touch.

My setup is three 30A Orion Smart into a spare smart shunt.

I hate having to open the app, or go into menus on the GX Touch to see the output. Since the Orion even with bluetooth won't talk to Cerbo. (even though the community has been asking for a fix for years)

I tried setting up the smart shunt as the DC/DC charger, which it is. But doesn't provide much. Plus makes my DC System a negative value, so i can't really see how much power the Orions are making. (DC loads minus Orion Chargers) On VRM you can see the negative value drop when it was in DCDC charger and making power.

The dirty solution, i found was set the smart shunt as Solar Charger. Its going to screw my solar charts but allow me to see the combined output of my two power sources, in all the VRM charts.
But since it doesn't have a source voltage or current, it makes GUImods a little noisy. (it shows ??V and NaN KA)

ss-2023-06-12-at-63018-pm.pngss-2023-06-12-at-62957-pm.png

SmartShuntOrion DC-DC Converters not smartorion dc-dc
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

try setting the smart shunt as a Alternator or wind generator these do show up as separate tiles on the cerbo

Also have a look at this post as there is also some screen shots there as well

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/162409/gui-mods-smartshunt-alternator-oddity.html

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

badwolf avatar image badwolf commented ·
Thanks for the link.

I did originally try those options too. Saw the same affects on DC system as he had.

But I didn’t change the guimod display type like he did. I wanted it to add a separate tile but not at the cost of information on everything else.
0 Likes 0 ·
lurch avatar image
lurch answered ·

As long as the shunt is connected to the Cerbo, you can see it via the VRM overview. Go into Menu>settings>battery measurements, make the shunt visible, and name it to whatever you like. it will then show up on the VRM dashboard. I'm using this to monitor a buffer battery charged off a 24/12 - 70

2 |3000