question

nigely avatar image
nigely asked

Lithium mains charger

Have just bought a lithium battery to go in the camper, the charger in the van at the moment is not suitable for charging it, is it ok to hardwire a Victron mains charger to the 240v hookup and permanently connect it to the battery. My concern is I have a Victron smart 12v /12v 15amp which is used to charge the battery when the engine is running, will they effect each other when either is on.

Lithium Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
snoobler avatar image
snoobler answered ·

Generally fine to have multiple chargers connected to the same battery running individually, concurrently or none at all.

Important:

1) all chargers are appropriate for the battery and preferably programmed to the same absorption/float voltages.

2) The sum of all current from all chargers does not exceed the battery charge rating.

3) Lithium does not need to be kept at full charge. If the mains charger will be ON most of the time, it's float voltage should be set to something low like 13.2V-ish. If it will only be used as needed, then 14.2-14.4V absorption for 1-2 hours and 13.5V float.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nigely avatar image
nigely answered ·

Thank you for putting my mind at res, the mains charger will only be use occasionally. The battery is in the bottom of the cupboard so takes a bit off getting to.

2 |3000

Related Resources