question

ningaloo avatar image
ningaloo asked

Two MPPT, one generating little charging

I have two pairs of solar panels each with own smart solar MPPT.

First pair are 2x 120W panels with 100/20 controller generated over 1Kw yesterday. Happy with this.

screenshot-2023-06-03-08-39-07-658-comvictronenerg.jpg

Second pair are 2x 80w panels with 75/15 controller only generated 30w. Something is wrong. When first installed these could generate 700w in a day. The panel voltage/current seems ok but it's just not getting pushed into my batteries.

screenshot-2023-06-03-08-45-14-016-comvictronenerg.jpg

Images show history from yesterday when I was not using shore power and current status of the suspect set of panels. I read this as 29W network but only 3W charging. Is that correct?

Any thoughts on what could be going wrong?

MPPT ControllersSolar Panel
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Your smaller array is not reaching a high enough voltage to start the MPPT. It must reach battery voltage plus 5V to turn on and maintain battery voltage plus 1V while charging.

Check cabling, connections, switches/isolators etc. Could also be dirty panels or faulty panels.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ningaloo avatar image ningaloo commented ·
Thank you. I can see that the PV voltage is below battery + 5V in the image but it does vary and has reached 20V. I assumed that the threshold had been reached as the state shows Bulk rather than Off.
0 Likes 0 ·
pwfarnell avatar image pwfarnell ningaloo commented ·

True, it has turned on but it still has all the symptoms of a high resistance so check connectors, switches, fuses etc. Do you have either of the switches shown below in the system because these are well known for poor contact.

inline-breaker-12v-24v-48v-20a-to-150amps.jpg

waterproof-manual-reset-dc-circuit-breaker-inline.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·
ningaloo avatar image ningaloo pwfarnell commented ·
Thanks. This gives me something to check. The solar wiring is not the best and is on my to-do list to revise. However today's challenge is some awkward to access plumbing!
0 Likes 0 ·
paul-campbell avatar image
paul-campbell answered ·

I assume they both have the same target charge voltage/current settings?

Do they both see the same battery voltage?

1 comment
2 |3000

ningaloo avatar image ningaloo commented ·
Yes, both see same battery voltage and are connected with my smartshunt smart network.

I have changed the smaller panels from parallel to series to boost the voltage but still only generates 1w although voltage is now up to 30v.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic