question

kai-rottleb avatar image
kai-rottleb asked

EVCS waiting for sun

I have a EVCS on Firmware 1.25 here. I can start the charge manually, but with automatic it will remain on "waiting for sun". No matter if the battery is full or we are feeding in to the grid.

Under what situation, the EVCS will start charging?

charge2.png

charge3.png

ev charging station
charge2.png (102.6 KiB)
charge3.png (34.2 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Can you share a short video (10-20sec)of the main webpage while it is saying "low soc"
0 Likes 0 ·
13 Answers
kai-rottleb avatar image
kai-rottleb answered ·

it does not say low SOC, but waiting for sun

(rather cloudy now)

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

So, for this vide, it is not starting because it is not reaching the minimum power for starting - 1.3kW. Let's check it again when there is more PV power available.

0 Likes 0 ·
kai-rottleb avatar image kai-rottleb Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

ok, today is more sun and less consumption and it startet ev charging. our installed PV is a little bit to small für EV charging I guess.

I have 2 more questions to this visualisation:

a) It looks like we are charging the car with 5,2kW and have loads of 5,8kW in the house. Actually we hat 5,2kW for the car and 0,6kW for the house. Is that a configuration problem? or a bug?

b) In that display, there is a tiny blue line going from the EV Cgarger to the Victron Device. That looks like energy is going from the Car to the home-grid.

0 Likes 0 ·
img-5891.mp4 (1.9 MiB)
Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

It seems the EVCS position is not correctly configured. It is defined as connected on AC In, and actually it is on AC out.

2 |3000

kai-rottleb avatar image
kai-rottleb answered ·

no, its actually connected to our home-grid and the victron ist only connected to it an AC in

Here is a quick illustration of my setup:

1685952823628.png

1685952823628.png (58.1 KiB)
6 comments
2 |3000

Is it ok if I connect to your system to take a look?

0 Likes 0 ·
kai-rottleb avatar image kai-rottleb Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·
sure.
0 Likes 0 ·
Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ kai-rottleb commented ·

But the SOC now is indeed very low:

1686058400520.png

0 Likes 0 ·
1686058400520.png (40.9 KiB)
it was a very cloudy day and the car was charged. so no chance for the battery to charged.
0 Likes 0 ·
Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ kai-rottleb commented ·
Ok, contact me please when we can perform some tests
0 Likes 0 ·
Pavel Brand avatar image Pavel Brand kai-rottleb commented ·
also,make sure you have right setting of location(inside evcs settings,set on input/output of multiplus,not sure how it is named,it probably defines,where it is displayed and how it consumes/regulates)
0 Likes 0 ·
davidv avatar image
davidv answered ·

Hello,

I have a similare pb, wen i plug my VE. My ESS system have SOC 100% a véhicule start charge, after 30 second ev charging disconnect waiting for sun, after 30 second he restart charge….

My system is an ESS 3 phases With 3 multi 48/5000.

CAN you help me?

1 comment
2 |3000

Please share a video with the main webpage on the EVCS while this is happening.
0 Likes 0 ·
pavol-rehak avatar image
pavol-rehak answered ·

Hello

I have exactly the same issue. No matter what setting I setup the charger start charing in auto mode and stops after approx 55 sec. Could you please help me to arrange that. Attaching picture from just now, sunny day, great production but charger is waiting for sun.

1688370847006.png

1688370847006.png (104.0 KiB)
5 comments
2 |3000

is your vehicle charging 3pase or single phase? If it's 3P, that's normal, minimum charging power is higher than what's available on your system now. (6Ax230Vx3)

0 Likes 0 ·
pavol-rehak avatar image pavol-rehak Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·
so does it mean that the auto mode will never work as production of electricity is too low even by full sun?
0 Likes 0 ·
Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ pavol-rehak commented ·
yes, as long as the pv power is below necessary power, it will not charge. But what you can do, is disconnecting L1 and L2 from the EVS, that way, it will charger only single phase. So it will start charging with minimum 1.4kW
0 Likes 0 ·
pavol-rehak avatar image pavol-rehak Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·
ok but then I will be limited with maximum power right?, currently I have the whole house on 3P 32A.
0 Likes 0 ·
Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ pavol-rehak commented ·
yes it will be limited to 1P/32A
0 Likes 0 ·
simon-prinz avatar image
simon-prinz answered ·

Hello folks,

I have the same problem with the automatic mode.

I have a relatively small pv system with 5.6kwp but when the battery is full it all goes into the grid. I have a multiplus 2 48/3000 ESS with a cerbo gx and 3x pylontech us3000c.

everything works fine but the automatic mode on a phase with 6A does not activate automatically in case of excess.

I have already checked all settings from this contribution but without success.

I would be happy if someone had a solution

3 comments
2 |3000

Simon, can you please share a video with the main webpage of the EVCS while behaving like this?
0 Likes 0 ·
simon-prinz avatar image simon-prinz Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

tomorrow the weather should be perfect for that

0 Likes 0 ·
simon-prinz avatar image simon-prinz Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

the 1.4kw grind feed was achieved. the car can only load single phase so it should start right? I'm still waiting for more solar power and I'll get back to you

0 Likes 0 ·
simon-prinz avatar image
simon-prinz answered ·

2 comments
2 |3000

But there is no PV on your system, that's why is saying – waiting for sun
0 Likes 0 ·
Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Should be like this: 1691750654935.png

0 Likes 0 ·
1691750654935.png (334.4 KiB)
simon-prinz avatar image
simon-prinz answered ·

the problem is that I can't track my solar system via the vrm portal because it goes directly to phase 1+2 via micro-inverters. Should I then add 2 modbus energy meters to the feed points to make the whole thing visible? I thought the grid point is the trigger for the EVCS

2 |3000

simon-prinz avatar image
simon-prinz answered ·

the system works perfectly. i defined 2 em24 ethernet via tcp modbus as pv inverter to monitor the complete pv system. one tracks phase 1+2 and the other only phase 3

thanks for the help with my problem <3 great support

1 comment
2 |3000

with pleasure!
0 Likes 0 ·
jojogomez avatar image
jojogomez answered ·

A function from version 1.24 is no longer active. If the battery is not yet full but more than the maximum charging voltage is generated (battery can be 30 A) PV supplies 50A then the wall box starts when the 1.3 KW feed is reached and charges the car. From version 1.25 this is no longer possible the start depends on the LOW SOC value and it doesn't matter whether 2kw is then fed into the grid because the battery can no longer absorb charging power. Therefore, I think only version 1.24 makes sense for many people in order to be able to charge the car early in case of a lot of excess despite battery charging max. You give away a few KW, if the output of the PV is very high and the battery cannot absorb that much, which is then missing in the afternoon when the battery is full for charging the car.

1 comment
2 |3000

jojogomez avatar image jojogomez commented ·
And the statemant to set SOC f.e. to 30 % makes also no sence because the stop discharging value must be lower so the battery will be discarched in minimum to 29%. so I have no power for the night. In Summery the new firmware alre possible for off grid systems but not for Home configurations with 100% Grid.
0 Likes 0 ·
Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi, sorry but I don't understand what the issue is, please try to explain better

What do you mean by “battery can be 30 A”, maybe 30Ah? But I still don't understand what is the connection with EVCS

2 |3000

jojogomez avatar image
jojogomez answered ·

I have a 100A Battery. this Battery can be load with maximum 30A. I have in Summary 10 KW Peak PV-Modules. Up to 10 o´clock I have much more Power as I can load into the battery. Only in version 1.24 the Chager start charging the car in case the Battery load an parallel Charge the case the Soc is not nessesary because Maximum Load to Battery and more the 1.3 KW available. Up to Version 1.24 you configure a min SOC for Battery. And equal if more Power is available the Charger will not start before the SOC is reached. So I put many power direkt into the Grid for the time until the SOC is reached. in the Version 1.24 only a value for discarging able to set. I set this Value to 98 % so the PV System try to load the Battery and the car in Case that I have enough power. And it will stopp direkt if the sun is gone and the Batter is not higer than 98 %. In the newer Version this funktion is not available because SOC must be higher than Discharge Value. This configuration in the software does not take into account that it may be that the min SOC value is not reached but the maximum charge value in amps of the battery is reached. There is further PV excess available for charging the car, which is then not released is because of the minimum SOC value. It is necessary to remove the lock that the min value must always be greater than the discharge value.

2 comments
2 |3000

poplargrove avatar image poplargrove commented ·
Yes please can you update the firmware to allow auto to see the sun when the battery is full? When my battery is full VRM only "sees" the PV energy equal to the AC load. So the EVCS says "waiting for sun" however I actually have enough solar energy to charge at 32A in manual mode and then still have excess but the auto mode does not see this. So it will not charge.
0 Likes 0 ·
Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ poplargrove commented ·

If you use the latest (1.27) it should work. Can you please check?

0 Likes 0 ·
motylu avatar image
motylu answered ·

Hello @Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff).

Sometimes I am dealing with problem regarding stuck in "waiting for sun" state with newer FWs (starting from 01.26).

snimek-obrazovky-2024-01-27-v141756.png

I have manual disconnector in electrical box, which can interrupt second (L2) and third (L3) supply phase of EVCS. When there is enough PV power and clear skies, I am charging EV in auto mode using only 1 phase, when I must charge the EV during night or there is no enough PV power for charging I am using manual mode and all 3 phases.

What are the conditions for start charging in auto mode? Is it everytime only feed-in power (sum of all phases) or feed-in in only first phase L1? Or is there some internal parameter which remember previous charging (if it was 1 phase or 3 phase) and then EVCS in auto mode waiting for min. feed-in power based on this parameter (1x 230 V x 6 A or 3x 230 V x 6 A)?

And of course what is the minimum time of feeding into the grid for activation?

I done some investigation and for example if I am reading register for manual mode phase setting (no. 5055) and auto mode phase setting (no. 5056) via Modbus, everytime I get 65535 so no default value and value out of the range according to EVCS Modbus Excel sheet.

2 |3000