question

fixitbaz avatar image
fixitbaz asked

EV Charging Station PEN Protection or Earth Rod ???

Does the Victron EV Charging Station support PEN protection or does it need an earth rod ???

ev charging station
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

7 Answers
betaoil avatar image
betaoil answered ·

Did you ever find the answer you needed as also interested

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

fixitbaz avatar image fixitbaz commented ·
No and information on website mentions nothimg
0 Likes 0 ·
matt1309 avatar image
matt1309 answered ·

@Fixitbaz @Betaoil

Sorry for digging up old thread but any luck on this?

2 |3000

betaoil avatar image
betaoil answered ·

It doesn’t have PEN protection so you will require an RCBO Type B and PEN device, I had the Garo one installed that had all the protection in one box

1 comment
2 |3000

matt1309 avatar image matt1309 commented ·
Thanks @Betaoil, yeh i've seen a few with built in PEN fault detection devices. Ahh well another device to squeeze!
0 Likes 0 ·
assyntdavid avatar image
assyntdavid answered ·

Hi @Betaoil

I posted the question 2 days ago 'Have you installed a Victron EV charging station in the UK' and your comment above was referenced in one of the replies. (No-one has claimed to have had one installed in the UK - strange.) I was trying to clarify PEN fault and RCD position given that Victron themselves seem strangely unwilling to add clarification themselves. Thus I would like to ask you:

1) Can you clarify the source of your PEN fault statement. I think you are correct but there is some doubt or confusion around all that I have found written so far.

2) You reference a RCBO Type B. Since I have been prompted to look into this a lot more closely I cannot find such a thing. My existing RCBO is B curve Type A, which is what comes up when you serach for RCBO Type B, but is not the same thing as a Type B RCD. The difference seems to lie in the size of the smooth residual dc current. If it is less that 6mA then the RCBO B curve type A is fine for EV charging stations, if more than 6mA you need to use an RCD type B. The Victron instal manual points to the RCD type B device, but at an extra £200 it would be nice to know if this was really required on single phase, or if it is just a case of 'belt and braces'. Compared to what I see on installs using other manufacturers Victron does seem to overspec their cable requirements etc. Not a bad thing, but . .

If you are qualified and able to clarify the points above your input would be much appreciated.

Regards,

David

PS I have already jumped and purchased the Victron charge, primarily for integration reasons. Thus I have closed the door on alternative chargers which seem to have better addressed these issues.

1 comment
2 |3000

betaoil avatar image betaoil commented ·

Hi David

I am not an electrician but I followed the installation of it.

The main reason for the PEN statement is it doesn’t make any mention of it, I thought that where other brand’s mentioned it Victron doesn’t.

I believe that the earth rod is a minimum requirement at the moment, however you wouldn’t know if there is a voltage difference between the car a true earth, hence installing a Garo GC8EV40PMEB IP65 PME Fault Detection Unit 8 Way.

Your correct it was a error on my part to call it a RCBO it’s a Type B RCD.

There some fantastic technical videos on YT detailing the science/regs behind EV chargers and PEN.

0 Likes 0 ·
daza avatar image
daza answered ·

@assyntdavid The type B RCD is required on any phase this is not a skimp out on part and is a life saver. If this is your turning point I would send it back and get a charger with this built in. if you look at the video below the manufacture has said exactly what is required legally they have fulfilled there obligation. i know you want it for integration sake but if your not going to pony the extra £200 on an already expensive device send it back and get one that will just be safe.

check this video out https://youtu.be/bXS-uNxeTXo

2 |3000

daza avatar image
daza answered ·

@assyntdavid please see video for what you would need similar to @Betaoil device matee device is another add on if it hasn’t got PEN fault its a two in one https://youtu.be/xaa72U-KEUs

2 |3000

assyntdavid avatar image
assyntdavid answered ·

Thank you @Betaoil & @Daza,

I think you guys have sorted me out. I thought I was pretty up on RCDs having enthusiastically fitted them in all my houses since the 70s, but I have been confusing what is commonly called a type B RBCO (B curve type A) and a type B RCD. (The loose terminology seems pretty common on various forums and electrical suppliers.) So yes it is going to cost an extra ~£300 fitting the Matt:e device incorporating the RCD, a full £200 more than I was expecting. Heh hoh. At least there is a solution that can be fitted relatively easily next to the EV feed consumer unit.

Regards,

David

2 |3000