question

vansen avatar image
vansen asked

Smart Shunt power consumption too high

Hi there,

I use a Victron Smart Shunt built in a LiFePo4 battery which is controlled by a Daly Smart BMS 4S, which also contains a Bluetooth connection. Things are working well except one thing.

The Victron shunt is constantly reporting ~2.3A more than the BMS, even though the Victron shunt is connected directly to the battery. This leads to constantly wrong percentage reporting, since the Victron shunt calculates too much usage.

Does anyone has an idea, what could cause this phenomena?

Do I have a way to configure the shunt to "ignore" this amount of power consumption?

Thanks in advance!

SmartShuntbattery capacity
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
pwfarnell avatar image
pwfarnell answered ·

You can do a zero current calibration without any loads on the system, details are in the manual Section 7.2.13.

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/SmartShunt/en/all-features-and-settings.html

Are you sure that it is the SmartShunt that has the error and not the BMS, do you have another way to check.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

vansen avatar image
vansen answered ·

Thanks @pwfarnell, this is exactly what I was looking for :)

Pretty sure I tinkered with this setting in the past, without knowing what it does. And alongside I likely misconfigured my setup.

2 |3000

ivanty56 avatar image
ivanty56 answered ·

The manual states: Ensure that there really is no current flowing into or out of the battery. Do this by disconnecting the cable between the load and the SmartShunt and press the “calibrate button” to perform a zero-current calibration.

2 |3000

Related Resources