question

bill-wilson avatar image
bill-wilson asked

Solar power being wasted.

We are generating 11kw on solar, using 4.4kw but only charging at 900w. The charge rate varies but we seem to be loosing a lot of generated energy. We have 4x BYD batteries, Victron CerboGX, 4x Fronius Primo solar inverters and 2x Victron Quattro 48/10000/140.

Our connection to the grid is disconnected; if we connect to the grid then we export most of the power rather than charge the batteries.

battery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
matt1309 avatar image
matt1309 answered ·

Hi @Bill Wilson,

Have you setup ESS (Energy storage System).

If you have and that's not the problem do you mind sharing your charger settings it might help us solve it.

It's odd if you're generating 11kw and using 4.4kw if the grid is not connected (ie where is the remaining power going).

How are you monitoring the battery? Via BYD BMS communication or are you using a smart shunt instead? Is there a chance that the "missing power" is actually going into the battery it's just the battery data just isn't showing correctly? Do you ever see BYD voltage move (I know LiFePO4 wont move much but should be enough to get an idea of whether it's charging or not)

My only other guess was going to be Frequency shifting causing the solar to ramp down but you've already mentioned that you're getting 11kw so that's disproved that guess.

My guess is an ESS or charger settings problem.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bill-wilson avatar image
bill-wilson answered ·

Is there an easy way to output all the settings to a file as the standard view makes it difficult

2 |3000