question

Greg avatar image
Greg asked

Bonding neutral and earth in smaller 12V Pheonix inverter

I have purchased a Phoenix 12 I 800 inverter. The neutral to earth bond has not been manufactured in this unit as shown in the manual. Can the neutral and earth be bonded on this inverter?

Regards Greg

Phoenix Invertermen
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi Greg,

Bonding Neutral and Earth on the AC output of the inverters for the safe operation of an RCD is a job for a qualified electrician, and will also require installation of additional components and test equipment. How and where it is done depends on your local regulations and electrical safety standards.

The inverter will work without this bond, and it is typically made when wiring the inverter into an AC distribution system of power points and light switches.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Greg avatar image Greg commented ·

Thank you for reply, I am an electrician and need confirmation that the inverter will work without modifications once I carry out neutral to earth bond in the switchboard.I purchased this inverter because of the bond link shown in the manual which is not on the inverter.

0 Likes 0 ·

There are two current versions of the 12V 800 VA Pheonix. One with VE.Direct and one without.

External bonding is possible.

The manuals for each are here and describes how the AC output is isolated from ground and has a diagram for how it can be bonded internally:

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Manual-Phoenix-Inverter-800VA-and-1200VA-EN-NL-FR-DE-ES.pdf

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Manual-Phoenix-Inverter-250VA-1200VA-EN-NL-FR-DE-ES-IT.pdf

"The AC output is isolated from the DC input and the chassis. Local regulations may require a true neutral. In this case one of the AC output wires must be connected to the chassis, and the chassis must be connected to a reliable ground, see figure 1. Please note that a true neutral is needed to ensure correct operation of an earth leakage circuit breaker."
0 Likes 0 ·
ryanw avatar image ryanw Greg commented ·

Hi Gergory, Did you ever get to the bottom of this? It sounds like you have a similar question to me. In the manual for the Victron phoenix inverter 12/375 there is a reference to earth arrangements if the inverter output is used with earth leakage. They show in appendix A in the manual an earth jumper, however when I opened the inverter this jumper is not present. It also does not have the lug spade connectors on the PCB. I have earthed the chassis using the provided earth terminal and the earth leakage operates correctly when the test button is pushed. As this is a back up system for a fish pond pump I want to make sure that earthing the chassis is adequate to ensure the earth leakage will operate correctly.

0 Likes 0 ·
jfeiman avatar image
jfeiman answered ·

@Guy Stewart

My 12/500 Phoenix inverter also lacks the internal neutral-ground jumper. According to the manual, a GFCI outlet will not provide ground fault protection without a neutral-earth bond. When a single extension cord or other electrical device is plugged directly into the inverter, there is no load distribution center on the AC side for external neutral-earth bonding.

1) Am I correct in interpreting this to mean that an extension cord equipped with a GFCI device does not provide ground fault protection when plugged into this inverter?

2) Is there a plug-in solution for providing ground fault protection?

3) Is there a VE service document that details a procedure for bonding neutral to earth internally with this inverter?

img-2034.jpg (2.3 MiB)
img-2030.jpg (2.5 MiB)
img-2031.jpg (2.4 MiB)
2 comments
2 |3000

Hi @jfeiman

The manual has been updated last year, the connection has to be made outside the inverter:

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Manual-Phoenix-Inverter-VE.Direct-250VA-1200VA-EN-NL-FR-DE-ES-IT.pdf

0 Likes 0 ·
jfeiman avatar image jfeiman Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Not quite answering the first and second questions. This inverter is not configured for hard wiring to a load center where neutral can be bonded externally. Are you saying that ground fault protection is not available for tools or equipment plugged into its NEMA-15 outlet?

0 Likes 0 ·
dcreedon avatar image
dcreedon answered ·

Hi, I've read the recent manual. I have a 12/500 inverter. The earth on the back of the inverter red box in picture is this the chassis earth?

Section 3.3 mentions an earth lug on the chassis , what does the earth lug look like? is it the one on in the red box? earth.png

earth.png (192.2 KiB)
2 |3000

Related Resources

Phoenix Inverter product page

Phoenix Inverter Smart product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic