question

dbp avatar image
dbp asked

BMV 712 Bluetooth fails to connect after failed Firmware update

I'm new to this forum and any help would be appreciated. I have a BMV 712 monitoring the batteries on my boat. It's worked perfectly for a couple of years.

Today it requested a firmware update which I tried from right next to the unit on my iphone x. It hung at 75%. Looking at the Victron site it suggested forgetting the device and then re-pairing via the app. I can't get it to re-pair. The app finds the device and requests the code on the screen. Unfortunately it has a mixture of numbers and a character - the keyboard only offers numbers. Any ideas?

DBP

Bluetoothknowledge basebt200
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
0 Likes 0 ·
7 Answers
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) answered ·

Hi @DBP

You just have to fill in the pincode of the BMV712 (so "000000" when you have never changed it) and not anything that is shown in the BMV. When you don't know the pincode, you can use the following procedure to reset it back to "000000": https://ve3.nl/VictronConnect_ResetPIN

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

dbp avatar image
dbp answered ·

I tried entering 000000 but it wouldn't accept this as correct. It requests me to enter the code shown on the BMV. Unfortunately the device code has a "t" as one of the characters and the keyboard on the Victron app doesn't appear to have a way of entering a "t". When the firmware update hanged at 75% - for about 20 minutes - I stopped it as the update stated that if I was forced to interrupt the download I could restart without problem. It wouldn't restart so, as suggested by Victron, I removed the device and tried to re-pair it. This is where I'm having the problem. At some point it stated that the BMV had no firmware!!! Help please.

2 |3000

Hi @DBP

Unfortunately, iOS shows a generic pincode popup that assumes that the product has a display that shows the pincode. This is not the case in our products, but we cannot do anything about the iOS popup. In the end, it is asking for the pincode. When it does not accept the expected pincode (apperently you did not change the pincode so it should still be "000000"?), the pincode has to be reset using the procedure which I also linked above: https://ve3.nl/VictronConnect_ResetPIN

After resetting the pin, you should be able to pair using "000000" and finish the update.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

2 |3000

dbp avatar image
dbp answered ·

Thanks for the explanations and I've managed to pair the BMV 712 but it now shows zero readings. Has it lost everything in the Firmware update?

2 |3000

dbp avatar image
dbp answered ·

The display on the device also shows bt200 on the screen.

1 comment
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
BT200 is a bluetooth error. Hopefully @Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) can help
0 Likes 0 ·

Hi @DBP

The fact that the screen says "BT200" means that it is in firmware update mode and waiting for a new firmware. From your other answer, I suspect that you only see a product information screen that only shows 1 device, instead of 2 that you would normally see for a SmartBMV 712. To be sure, can you please post a screenshot of what you are seeing in VictronConnect after connecting to the SmartBMV?

If this is indeed what I suspect, then it means that the internal Bluetooth dongle is unable to communicate with the BMV part of the SmartBMV. What you can try is to power cycle the BMV by disconnecting the grey cable going into the back of the BMV712 for a minute and then plugging it back in. Afterwards, connect with VictronConnect. When it then still only shows a product info screen with just the dongle, then there is a hardware problem with the BMV.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

2 |3000

dbp avatar image
dbp answered ·

Dear Theimo,

I've run through your suggestions. Having got the correct passcode to get me paired it then asked me to perform the Firmware upgrade which, this time, ran perfectly. The bt200 screen changed and I appear to back running again except I now need to run a charge cycle before resetting 100%. Thank you so much for your helpful explanations.

2 |3000

Related Resources

VictronConnect bluetooth troubleshooting guide

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic