question

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany asked

Do Victron products support multiple concurrent connections?

Does anyone know if the BT modules in Victron products support multiple concurrent connections?

Reaon I'm asking is that I was trying to help someone with a 150/30 MPPT. I couldn't connect with Victron connect. After giving up and using his phone, which worked, I thought about BT.

If multiple concurrent connections not supported, maybe this is the cause of some of the Bluetooth connection problems we see here.

MPPT SmartSolarVictronConnectBluetoothknowledge base
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @kevgermany

Do you mean multiple paired connections with different phones at the same time to one smart product?

The answer is no. There can only be one paired Bluetooth connection at a time.

See also point 3 in the second paragraph of the troubleshooting section:

1. Only one phone can be connected to a product at the same time. Make sure that no other phone is already connected.

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/VictronConnect_Manual/en/troubleshooting.html#UUID-3e7793ac-44bb-d9b3-70d1-6f8bd4eeb383

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Thanks @Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff)

Guess the owner's phone got in my way.

0 Likes 0 ·
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) answered ·

Hi all,

I would like to extend on the already given answer(s):

Most of our smart products can store pairing information for 8 different devices (phones/tablets/macbooks), although this number may change in the future. When both the smart product and the device have the correct pairing information, the device can connect to the smart product.

This does not mean that 8 devices can actually be connected at the same time. As stated indeed in the troubleshooting guide, only one device can be connected to a smart product at the same time. This means that multiple devices can be in the main Device List screen in VictronConnect showing products in the vicinity and showing the Instant Readout data, but only one VictronConnect can be in the product screen. On all the other devices, the product should turn grey in the Device List and when such a product is clicked, VictronConnect will show a warning that only one device can be connected at a time.

Then some more information on when either the device or the product no longer has the correct pairing information.

When the device no longer has the pairing information (for example because it was removed in the devices bluetooth setting), it will ask for a PIN code when connecting to the smart product and they will exchange and store the pairing information again.

When the smart product no longer has the pairing information (for example because of a pin code change/reset using a different device) but the device still has the pairing information, the connection progress will go to 20% or 60% and then fall back to 0% and VictronConnect will retry a few times. To get out of this situation, one needs to remove the smart product in devices bluetooth settings menu, so it will ask again for the pincode when trying to connect.

All in all, this means that it is not necessary to remove a smart product from the bluetooth settings menu on an old phone when it is replaced by a new one. A new device can always be paired and the new pairing information is stored in the product. When the smart product already had pairing information for 8 devices, the one which did not connect the longest is removed from the list and replaced by the new pairing information.

I hope this clarifies the pairing and connectivity of our smart products a bit.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

1 comment
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Thanks Thiemo.
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

VictronConnect Manual

Download for iOS / Android / Mac / Windows

VictronConnect bluetooth troubleshooting guide

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic