question

jonathanv avatar image
jonathanv asked

Phoenix Smart IP43 not showing battery current data from BMV-712

I have a Phoenix Smart IP43 (230v, 12V/50A, 3 output) networked with a BMV-712 and a Smart Battery Sense.

In the VE Smart Network data, it shows it's receiving:

- External battery voltage sense from the BMV-712

- External battery temperature sense from the Smart Battery Sense

It's not showing external battery current being received which I would expect coming from the BMV. I've seen an image in the manual of an IP43 with a Smart Shunt where it's shown.

Is this a display issue in VictronConnect or is it not receiving the data? I'd like it so it accurately calculated the tail current in the charge profile.

screenshot-2023-05-14-141415.png

BMV Battery MonitorVE.Smart NetworkPhoenix Smart Charger ip43
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

@Jonathanv There is a difference between the 120-240v and 230v Phoenix models. The 230v model does not use current data.

VE. Smartnetworking manual.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jonathanv avatar image jonathanv commented ·
Oh wow, and it's only a year old, I wonder why there is this difference. Is there some place to submit a feature request to Victron?
0 Likes 0 ·
heidi avatar image heidi jonathanv commented ·

The 120-240 version is a totally different design, it is equipped with an active PFC (Power factor = 1) and the ability to limit the input current. This charger has most likely two SMPS in series. Thats maybe the reason why they have different capabilities.

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

@Heidi You have your PSC and mppt connected to the load port of the BMS?

Have you tried turning your inverter on (without load) to bleed the overvoltage from the PSC?

2 |3000

heidi avatar image
heidi answered ·

@klim8skeptic thats not an option in my case. Just disabled VE network for the PSC until the bug is fixed. Since the charger is very close to the battery, the voltage drop is minimal and it is rarely used anyway.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Victron BMV battery monitors product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

VE.Smart Networking Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic