question

justinm avatar image
justinm asked

Quattro 5k overload and fault at 3k?

I can't seem to get my Quattro 5000w inverter to run over 3000w and will either get the fault or the "Overload L1 on VE.Bus System" AM I missing something? Just trying to run 2 RV AC units and have plenty of battery. Getting this error even with 600w+ solar and 2000w+ alternator power coming to it. I have 6 of these AC units on my coach and would like to at least run 2 on inverter power. I'm planning on getting a 2nd inverter but now worried that 10k total inverter power isn't enough

1683920256045.png

fault
1683920256045.png (74.5 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
snoobler avatar image
snoobler answered ·

STARTING an RV A/C unit is brutal. 5-6kW compressor startup typically. If both compressors start or cycle at the same time, you're going to pull about 1,000A from the batteries, which presents its own problems, and 12,000W from the inverter and overload the inverter. It happens so fast VRM is very unlikely to catch it.

Do you have Micro-air softstarts installed? If not, you likely need them. These greatly reduce the startup current - by as much as 70% - minimizing the surge.

If you do have them installed, something is wrong.

I have "off-grid shore power" consisting of dual 48V/5000 Quattros in split phase powering my 5th wheels - one leg to each trailer, and I've taken great care to stagger the A/C startup. I will get the main unit (ducted to the whole trailer) running and turn it way down, so it won't cycle on and off. I'll give it a few minutes to stabilize and make sure no other high load devices are running. Then I'll turn on the bedroom (manual controls) starting with the blower fan first, then turn it to cold.

I also have 3kW of solar and 23.3kWh (450Ah @ 51.8V) of automotive lithium battery powering things, so things are far more optimal on the DC side.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

justinm avatar image justinm commented ·
Thanks for this info. I plan on a similar setup but 24v. Have 800ah of eg4 12v and going to double it and have 2 Quattro 5000 24v inverters. Have 1800w of solar installed and 1200w sitting but will have 3600w total on the coach. Plus some on the trailer we use sometimes. Going 24v as i can get 24v 450a massive alternator upgraded from my 12v 300a

This coach is well insulated but huge windows (prevost). I'm still trying to see how AC is going as only 3 of the 6 are working. I left 1 on today and temps rose from 70 to 74. I have 2 furrion 15.5k which come with soft starts on my old RV and they worked fine with same setup. Might just put them on new coach

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

Also worth noting it is 5000VA and 4000W.

2 |3000

justinm avatar image
justinm answered ·

I'm having similar issues even when on shore the inverter will fault but usually can get more power like 2 acs running. But if the ACs are already running I still have the same issues.

How is VA to watts calculated? I thought VA is the same as watts.

I'm planning on going with 24v so getting either a pair of 5k Quattro or now wondering if I need 8k ones

2 |3000

snoobler avatar image
snoobler answered ·

Essentially, it comes down to power factor and resistive or inductive loads.

A resistive load has a power factor of 1.0, so Watts=VA

An inductive load has a typical power factor of 0.8, so Watts = 0.8 * VA.

A/C compressors and blowers are inductive loads.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Faults with Victron equipment are best discussed directly with your dealer - this can be formalised with this support request form.