question

daza avatar image
daza asked

VRM doesn't show AC input when there is no Victron Inverter

I’ve looked through a couple of these I can’t see anything that relates to my specific issue.

There is no AC input on the VRM portal but there is on the local link to the Cerbo GX which is running the latest firmware 2.94.

I have an ET112 which is connected grid side anyone offer any help regarding this?

img-3903.jpeg
img-3902.png
img-3904.png
img-3905.png
img-3906.png

VRM
img-3903.jpeg (357.2 KiB)
img-3902.png (231.2 KiB)
img-3904.png (599.6 KiB)
img-3905.png (685.2 KiB)
img-3906.png (666.8 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

21 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

As far as I know this only works if you have a MultiPlus/Quattro connected ans switched ON.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

P.H.J. Sibbing avatar image P.H.J. Sibbing commented ·
Herr Lange ,

Connecting my MP to the Grid on AC out trips my RCBO ( ABB DS203NC), When only IC in connected, VRM local/ Cerbo ask for Grid (AC In and Out come from Grid). Protected separately with RCBO's

Yesterday you wrote Not to Connect AC out to grid, but indirectly it is always connect to the grid , unless you have a boat or other standalone Situation.

Also when starting up and after ( VE bus installation ) The VRM portal ( local) Claims wrong Phase rotation .

I have managed to load my batteries from the excess from the PV grid Inverter, now that they are full, The power of the MP can't get away at startup and AC out trips, and with only AC in it keeps asking for the grid.

Now i am lost

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

I responded to a similar topic, so will paraphrase here.:

VRM is designed to work with victron components, built around a victron inverter.

These issues appear on sites that do not have one.

The documentation states that while you could use a meter to measure a third party inverter, this will not work as expected, because much of the functionality is built around the data the inverter collects and sends to the GX over the VE.BUS.

When VRM is updated and tested, this scenario is not tested, nor will it consider unsupported non-victron configurations.

So if it happens to meet expectations today, that may change tomorrow, and there will be no commitment to fix it, because that is not what it is designed, nor intended for.

So you either have to accept this and use widgets, which do work, or get yourself a supported, Victron, inverter.

Sorry to say, there is nothing further that anyone will be able to assist with.

2 comments
2 |3000

Marcel avatar image Marcel commented ·

Ok.... That's a clear answer then. It wasbfun while it lasted.

Thanks for letting us know. Nothing else to do then to except this fact, and start saving voor a Multiplus and a battery.

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ Marcel commented ·

We don't like being the bearers of bad news.

But good news, some of the multis are on special, even with a free Cerbo. :)

0 Likes 0 ·
matt1309 avatar image
matt1309 answered ·

Hi @Daza

Do you mind sharing a screenshot of how you've configured the ET112 within Cerbo GX settings. Might help others work out what's causing the issue (have you set it up as a grid meter, if not that'll likely be the cause).

2 |3000

daza avatar image
daza answered ·

@matt1309 meter set to grid more pics posted

6 comments
2 |3000

matt1309 avatar image matt1309 commented ·
Cheers @Daza

Just having a look at my setup to try spot differences. Cant spot anything obvious, just out of curiosity does the energy meter have a VRM instance ID/is it showing up under devices on VRM?

Another potential idea is AC input 1 set to Grid in Settings->System setup?

0 Likes 0 ·
daza avatar image daza matt1309 commented ·

Hi @matt1309 yes VRM ID shows in the device list in the VRM portal, yes AC input already set to grid

img-3908.jpeg

0 Likes 0 ·
img-3908.jpeg (415.1 KiB)
matt1309 avatar image matt1309 daza commented ·

Sorry that's me out of ideas. I was hoping that the AC Input wasn't set. As my venus os has "Grid" rather than "AC Input".
Maybe it's because there's no inverter/charger in the system yet. I wouldn't have thought that would be the reason but I've never tested that before so might be?

Can you view the meter data in Advanced section of VRM? That would at least prove that the data is making it to VRM just not showing up on dashboard.

1683897743210.png

0 Likes 0 ·
1683897743210.png (36.7 KiB)
@matt1309 Cheers mate just weird how it shows in the Cerbo GX and not the VRM it is possible I suppose because of a lake of inverter thanks for your help
0 Likes 0 ·

@Daza Is the meter data viewable in advanced section of VRM? I suppose that would at least prove the data is getting to VRM just not being classified correctly to show up on the dashboard.

Guessing you've already tried a reboot since setting up the meter? It just seems like it's acting as though it's classified wrong somewhere.

0 Likes 0 ·
@matt1309 yeah I rebooted it two or three time ive no idea why the VRM portal doesn’t see it
0 Likes 0 ·
P.H.J. Sibbing avatar image
P.H.J. Sibbing answered ·

Clipboard02.jpgClipboard01.jpgClipboard05.jpgClipboard04.jpg

Here the same, Meter values not posted on VRM,

also value of AC Amp Load values wrong posted in Cerbo panelclipboard03.jpg

clipboard03.jpg (279.7 KiB)
clipboard02.jpg (255.4 KiB)
clipboard01.jpg (214.1 KiB)
clipboard05.jpg (194.7 KiB)
clipboard04.jpg (244.4 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

@P.H.J. Sibbing I can see your system has an alarm grid lost. Are you sure you meter is connected properly/doesn't have a connection issue or has grid maybe gone down?
0 Likes 0 ·
daza avatar image
daza answered ·

@matt1309 and @Matthias Lange - DE it shows on the VRM but only on the installation section

img-3910.png
img-3909.png

img-3910.png (395.9 KiB)
img-3909.png (195.0 KiB)
5 comments
2 |3000

Ahh OK, sounds like it's the lack of inverter then.

ie if inverter off maybe it stops showing grid data on dashboard.

I'll test this with mine on the weekend see if I can confirm that's the cause.

1 Like 1 ·
@matt1309 cheers mate please let me know
0 Likes 0 ·
Sorry for the delay, mine had the same behaviour when the Multiplus went off, so that seems to be the reason.
1 Like 1 ·
Cheers mate that’s brilliant and the DNO just approved my application which makes it so much better
0 Likes 0 ·

Congratulations. I've got a G99 half filled in for my setup, slightly nervous about sending it off.
Installer details I've left as "Quotes currently outstanding" rather than "I'm guna DIY it".
Any tips on minimising headaches on them?

0 Likes 0 ·
daza avatar image
daza answered ·

@matt1309 Cheers mate, Yeah I just put me as the installer, I was to just make sure you have a good single line diagram. Who is your DNO? UK Power Network is mine done it all through the online portal took nearly a month as I requested 100amp supply instead of my 60amp One. They replaced that fuse yesterday and just updated everything to approved with no import limit.

No issues from the DNO at all I was quite surprised can you post up your single line diagram so I can have a look as I changed mine multiple times PS i didn’t know it was saving on their online portal everytime so they even got how the CU was being wired lol my single line is floating about here somewhere.

1 comment
2 |3000

Amazing thank you!! National grid is mine. They came out yesterday for me to put a new fuse in after I informed them I'd installed the new Victron NS EV charger. They upgraded me to 80amp which should be more than enough for me.

I planned on trying to use a stock ESS Victron diagram but i may steal portions of yours if that's ok. What program did you use out of curiosity? (Thanks so much, really useful).

0 Likes 0 ·
daza avatar image
daza answered ·
2 |3000

daza avatar image
daza answered ·

@matt1309 i just used this software https://app.diagrams.net with the pics that i had others have used like electronic software with switches and so on hence i had to make my own switch symbol. yeah crack on others helped me on here too so if it helps fill your boots mate.

2 |3000

mhinz76 avatar image
mhinz76 answered ·

Hi all. maybe related issue. I noticed that after one month suddently the sum of the power on AC Input is not showing up anymore. it worked before and I have not changed anything. I see on detailed level the power, but not above. does anyone has any idea, what could cause that?
I am using Venus OS on a Raspberry Pi 3 with version 3.12 and an EM540 as grid meter. It worked all fine (well still works fine, just the number is not displayed).
1699955936162.png

displayed correctly on the Venus OS:
1699956063205.png

1699955936162.png (44.4 KiB)
1699956063205.png (65.1 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

daza avatar image daza commented ·
Once the multiplus is on it will display on VRM
0 Likes 0 ·
Marcel avatar image
Marcel answered ·

I have exactly the same thing over here. The only difference is that I dont have a Multiplus connected for now in my installation. Never had. Just testing and learning VRM.

But it has always just worked fine. But now since yesterday its not showing anymore in VRM. It does show in remote console. No alarms.

Did VRM had an update maybe?

2 |3000

daza avatar image
daza answered ·

@mhinz76 @Marcel it will show when the multiplus is up and running I know for some reason it shows then it doesn’t on the VRM but it’s normal and will show once the multiplus is up and running.

2 comments
2 |3000

mhinz76 avatar image mhinz76 commented ·
thanks for your feedback. I don't have any MultiPlus running, never had. Only the energy meter (EM540) and Venus OS on Rapsberry Pi. Worked all fine until few days ago. I noticed, when logging in to VRM again that it mentioned in a pop-up that a new version of VRM was loaded. If I am not mistaken by reloading the page I got that sum showing up couple of times again but latley not anymore. very strange. for me a bug on the new VRM version.
0 Likes 0 ·
Marcel avatar image Marcel mhinz76 commented ·
Then you have almost the same situation as I have. I have a raspberry pi (running Venus OS large V3.12), and an ET112 configured as a grid meter and also 2 grid connected PV inverters. So no Multiplus connected or present in my setup.

The only thing that never worked correctly is the PV production yellow tile in the remote console and VRM itself. This is only visible if I configure them as ac-out connected. But then the rest of the calculations are all wrong.

I am aware that using VRM without actually having a Multiplus is asking for problems, but still... It always worked in a way that I could use and test it.

0 Likes 0 ·
Marcel avatar image
Marcel answered ·

I'm not saying that your wrong, but I try to understand why it suddenly stopped working. Again.... I do not have or own a Multiplus. Never had one also. I'm just using and testing VRM to see how it works and if it would be something for me in the future. And to be clear... up till yesterday (or the day before, I'm not sure) it was all working fine. It showed the values correctly in VRM and in remote console. Now it only shows correctly in remote console but not in VRM. There I do have the red tile for ac-in, but no value in it. The value is correctly shown in remote console.

1 comment
2 |3000

daza avatar image daza commented ·
@Marcel Yep mine was the same look at my first post you will see the multi is off and giving figures on the GX when you view it, on the VRM there is noting but sometimes it would display even with the multi off to get constant readings via VRM it need the multi on that side
0 Likes 0 ·
mhinz76 avatar image
mhinz76 answered ·

when you open details, do you see the power amount per phases? That is shown in my case. And also on the graph under installation data all works just fine. And remote console also shows the sum of all phases. It worked before and suddently stopped working. Question would be, where the AC Input aggregated amount is produced? A) does VRM calculate it based on other figures or B) does it take the amount from venus OS (same as all other figures)? means, A) VRM frontend has an error in recent update or B) communication with Venus OS has an error on recent update?

Here phases all show correctly
1700208415923.png

1700208415923.png (6.9 KiB)
2 |3000

Marcel avatar image
Marcel answered ·

Exactly the same here. Only difference is that I have a 1 fase system instead of a 3 fase.

In all other locations (details, remote console) the AC-in value shows correct. Positive or negative is also correct. Tried rebooting, completely shutoff the raspberry pi. Also removed the grid meter (ET112) from VRM and add it again to the system. I'm out of options but I really would like this issue to be fixed.

screenshot-20231117-091903.png

2 |3000

daza avatar image
daza answered ·

@mhinz76 @Marcel as said before it is not an issue VRM only reports it when the multi is on, sometimes there is a glitch and it happens but that is not the way VRM has been designed to work only truly reports when the multi is operational ie on. As mentioned above by

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image

Matthias Lange - DE answered · May 12 2023 at 2:53 PM ACCEPTED ANSWER

As far as I know this only works if you have a MultiPlus/Quattro connected ans switched ON.”

I can confirm this is the case now mine is in operation.

2 |3000

Marcel avatar image
Marcel answered ·

@Daza

Thanks for your reply. Yes.. I have read and understood @Matthias Lange - DE answer. No problems there.

Maybe its because English is not my native language, but what I tried to say in my previous reactions is this:

If it worked before (even if it was a glitch) it would be nice if the VRM developers at Victron could make this a "feature" in VRM. Just give it a setting in VRM settings where people could choose (or let VRM know) that there is no Multiplus or Quatro connected in the installation.

I think a lot of people use VRM without a Multiplus . I'm using VRM for more then a year now just to log my PV production and do some calculations and home automation with the data it provides.

I admit that this fixed "glitch" is not that big of a deal. The value for calculations is still there and is correct, so no problem there. Its more a cosmetic thing that annoyed me and made me wonder if it could be fixed in a other way then buying a Multiplus and a battery.

2 |3000

mhinz76 avatar image
mhinz76 answered ·

noted about MultiPlus support.

I wonder about the glitch. As it worked just fine at the beginning for about one month and I thought VRM just shows the figure provided by Venus OS (where all figures are present). I will play around a bit and maybe find out, why it stopped working suddently. Will keep you posted.

1 comment
2 |3000

Yes... Please do that. Would be appreciated! Sure hope you find a solution.
0 Likes 0 ·
kocki avatar image
kocki answered ·
1 comment
2 |3000

I think your right. This last update is probably the cause then. Hope Victron fix this problem in the next VRM update. Would be nice.
0 Likes 0 ·
mhinz76 avatar image
mhinz76 answered ·

btw, it also shows correctly on the "All installation" overview:
1700389559193.png

I still guess it was caused by a VRM update, that I remember poped up few days ago. Just found out they publish updates almost daily, here the link: https://www.victronenergy.com/live/vrm_portal:change_log

1700389559193.png (13.6 KiB)
2 |3000

duester avatar image
duester answered ·

screenshot-2023-11-21-112818.jpgscreenshot-2023-11-21-113652.jpgThe same issue here. VRM worked flawless until a few days ago, then AC input was no longer shown anymore even everything looks right in the remote console. Each phase is correctly shown but AC input is shown as N/A. It seems that this bug came with the VRM update issued on 2023-11-13.

Update: Still not solved with VRM 2023-11-21

1 comment
2 |3000

josecokem avatar image josecokem commented ·

same here... is any workaround for this?

0 Likes 0 ·