question

mr-manuel avatar image
mr-manuel asked

Venus OS - Remote access without port forwarding with Ngrok

Hello,

I created a driver/packet for Venus OS that allows you to access a specific port on your Venus OS without the need to forward the port on your local router/firewall. It can for example be used to remote access the Venus OS device via SSH behind a mobile internet connection, VPN, firewall or anything else.

The driver is using ngrok as application to achieve that. Ngrok is like a router that forwards the port for you. In order to be able to do that, the application connects to a ngrok server, which is acting as a router, where then a dynamic port is opened for you. Then you can connect to the displayed hostname and port. For detailed informations on how ngrok works, visit their website https://ngrok.com/.

In order to use ngrok you have to create a free account first.

How to install?

The driver can be installed via the Packet Manager or by uploading it via SFTP and then running the setup file. The configuration is done via remote console/GUI.

More details can be found in the GitHub repository: https://github.com/mr-manuel/venus-os_ngrok

venus-os-services.png

venus-os-ngrok.png

modificationsgui mods
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Cool! And I think will be super appreciated by many.

Few comments on the explanation, to make that more accessible:

- add the word remotely, ie remotely access.

- add the word router to port forwarding.

- add sentence summarising what ngrok is plus link to best resource online that explains it in detail

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mr-manuel avatar image mr-manuel commented ·
Done :)
1 Like 1 ·
mr-manuel avatar image mr-manuel commented ·
Thanks for the advices. I will do that!
0 Likes 0 ·
Duncan Hall avatar image
Duncan Hall answered ·

First thanks for progressing this capability.

I have a pi based system with an ADC used for temperature measurement. I therfore need to copy the /etc/venus/dbus-adc.conf echt time I update the OS. Hence a remote tunnel would be invaluable.

I tried using this and all seems fine at the PI end and can easily set up the port recievable. Note one cannot copy and paste the Authtoken it has to be hand typed.

However on on opening ngroc on my PC loging into ngroc and clicking on the link I get an error ERR_NGROC_3004

ngrok gateway error The server returned an invalid or incomplete HTTP response

Am I missing a step?

2 |3000

Related Resources

Experiments, Modifications and Adaptions. Mods (Modifications) can be made to Victron Software by the Community. Please use the modifications space for enthusiasts who want to push what is possible, without official Victron Support.

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic