question

bluelagoon avatar image
bluelagoon asked

Should I install an Autotransformer on my Sailboat

I am working on refit my electrical system for an around the world journey starting in 2024. I have 2x Multiplus II charger / inverters that I plan on wiring in Split Phase since my 120v 50a shore power connection supports it.

Reading some literature I am coming to the conclusion that it would be in my best interest to install a autotransformer. My reasoning is my generator, current split phase shore power and solar controllers would be feed into the autotransformer and the output would be a stable and balanced split phase 120V input to my Multiplus II charger / Inverter.

Is my reasoning justified in spending the money to install an autotransformer?

Autotransformer
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

snoobler avatar image snoobler commented ·

First, solar goes directly to the batteries. It does not go to the inverter/charger.

Second, you will not be using your generator and shore power at the same time. It's not possible.

You're using conflicting terminology. " Split Phase since my 120v 50a shore power connection supports it" - split phase is 120/240VAC power. "120V 50A" is implicitly single phase.

Please list the sources of AC charging you wish to feed into the inverters and their nature, e.g., "120/240VAC split phase generator"

1 Like 1 ·
4 Answers
Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered ·

My reasoning is my generator, current split phase shore power and solar controllers would be feed into the autotransformer and the output would be a stable and balanced split phase 120V

1) Solar controllers are best fed direct to the battery as dc.

2) Whilst an auto transformer will try to balance leg currents, it won't stabilise the voltage.

3) For Shore power safety, and to meet ridiculously low RCCB currents (4mA) in some shore installations, you will need an ISOLATING transformer - not an auto transformer. The isolating transformer can be would to give the same balancing function as an autotransformer, but will have 2 sets of windings.

4) If the generator has a centre tap, then there is no need to run this through a transformer too.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Trevor Bird avatar image
Trevor Bird answered ·

I’m not sure about any of the “split phase” description but as previously mentioned, if a transformer was fitted it should be an isolation transformer. The reasons for this can get a little complex so if you are considering a rebuild I suggest getting some advice from a respected marine electrician. You have not mentioned if the yacht is fibreglass, timber, steel or aluminium but these are important considerations when designing your electrical fit-out.

One thing you may consider however, is if you really need to plug into shore power at all. You didn’t mention the size or style of the boat which may have a bearing on my next comment. We have lived on our boat for extended periods and we have enough solar to not require plugging in to shore power. This can change your design if you do not really need to plug into a marina. If you are circumnavigating you will spend a lot of time away from a marina so maybe you can commit to simply being self sufficient. If that is the case the need for the isolation transformer goes away.

2 |3000

mvas avatar image
mvas answered ·

Do you have any 240 volt loads ?

2 |3000

bluelagoon avatar image
bluelagoon answered ·

Thanks everyone, I see my confusion, and apologies for not providing a clear question to the forum. I have come to the conclusion that I do not need a Autotransformer because both my Shore Power Pedestal and Generator are 50 Amps which provide a Line1 @ 120v and L2 @ 120v. I do not have any 240v Loads but need the Line1 to power my Multiplus II Charger / Inverter and Line2 to power my second Multiplus II Charger / Inverter. The Neutral is shared.

Thanks again and apologies for the confusion.

Cheers.

1 comment
2 |3000

snoobler avatar image snoobler commented ·

If you ever find yourself with only 120VAC power available to the L1 inverter, use the Victron System Configurator to turn off "Switch as group." This will allow the L1 inverter to pass through 120VAC and charge while the L2 inverter continues inverting.

2 Likes 2 ·