question

fox1980 avatar image
fox1980 asked

ESS not using all solar power to charge battery

• Hi I have my ESS system set up with a grid meter and Pv meter all connected on the input side of the Multiplus. My problem is I am generating solar on a sunny day but only 100w goes to charging the battery with the rest going to loads and export to grid. Why does the Multiplus not charge the battery at higher wattage? it seems I am wasting solar to the grid. At the end of the day my read out is as the attached picture. This does not seem right to me. I have battery life active, Gel batteries with min SOC set to 80% as the charge currrent is so low it will not recharge otherwise.

screenshot-20230503-210342-chrome.jpg

battery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

7 Answers
anthony avatar image
anthony answered ·

What are the battery charge settings on the charger tab of the VE Configure file as sent to the inverter? Also check the ESS assistant battery settings.

What firmware versions are in each device?

What is the 'grid set point' on the GX device under ESS settings?

Is DVCC on or off?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

fox1980 avatar image
fox1980 answered ·

Hi

The Multiplus firmware is v2.73

The grid set point is 50w

DVCC is off

I will have to check the other settings tomorrow.

2 |3000

fox1980 avatar image
fox1980 answered ·

Can someone possibly let me know the settings I need to apply for my system please so I can check and adjust if required.

I have the below system:

Multiplus II 3kw 48v

4x 200Ah Lead Acid Gel batteries in series

Cerbo GX

Grid Meter

PV meter

Loads and PV on input side of Multiplus

DVCC set to off

Battery life enabled

Grid set point 50w

Min SOC 70%

On VE configure I used the charge settings for lead acid and input my Ah capacity.

I am confused that when there is excess solar it powers the load and the majority goes to grid leaving 50w-150w charging the batteries. I would expect a much higher charge value to charge the batteries each day.

2 |3000

tranzorb avatar image
tranzorb answered ·

Hi,

What is your solar charger?

2 |3000

fox1980 avatar image
fox1980 answered ·

I have a Solis grid tied inverter, this was installed before I added ESS.

2 |3000

fox1980 avatar image
fox1980 answered ·

screenshot-20230510-132442-chrome.jpg

Here is another example of the issue, why is the battery only being charged with 52w?

2 |3000

magicmike avatar image
magicmike answered ·
Here is another example of the issue, why is the battery only being charged with 52w?

Bump to that, mines are only charged by 80w

1 comment
2 |3000

mondeoman avatar image mondeoman commented ·
@MagicMike the screenshot above shows the Absorption charging state. During this state, the MultiPlus maintains a constant DC voltage on the battery and the battery decides how much current (and power) to take.
0 Likes 0 ·