question

alan-2 avatar image
alan-2 asked

Multiplus 24/800/16 resetting with bad AC input

Hi All

We have 4 sites with Multiplus 24/800/16 units
for years they had AGM 100AH batteries

now they been replaced with 2 of 12V 200AH LiPO4 REVOV batteries in series

We have load shedding 3 times a day, and often a rough industrial generator is run.
I observed rapid variations from 59Hz to 48Hz and voltages between 210 to 240VAC.

Occasionally the inverter will kick in, and then drop out.
It then caused a cycling effect. and even switch off, no lights and restart after about a minute.

When AC returns, the charger will kick in, and be really noisy, the whole unit goes dead, no lights, then a minute later will start again.

I thought he generator was freaking the charger out, so I removed the generator from this arrangement.
Seemed to work better, until we had a brown out, and the unit started the reset cycling.

Question is, can years of abuse cause a charger to no longer handle bad quality AC?
I tried reducing the max input Amps, no good.
Besides, i need the 16 amps for faster recovery.

My thought is that the chargers are hammered, and that an external charger (IP22 24/16) will do the trick (with internal charger switched off)
then the inverter runs 24/7 and i actually have a better quality output.
(I noticed the bad AC is pushed through, as-is! thats crazy!)

Suggestions / thoughts please

Multiplus-IIcharger
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

alan-2 avatar image alan-2 commented ·
So my question is:

Surely if the charger has an issue, it can simply shut the charger off, and switch to inverter and display a fault LED
Why kill the whole box without any lights?

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered ·

That generator sounds really rough.

Yes, prolonged use of bad AC will damage the transfer relays in the multi's. Possibly also can cause damage to the control boards too.

External chargers are a lot more immune to rough AC - they don't need to be able to match the inverter frequency / voltage / phase of an inverter, so can accept a wider range of input.

This sounds like the best option for this type of application.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

MultiPlus-II Product page 

MultiPlus-II Manual

MultiPlus-II 230V Datasheet 

VE.Bus Error codes

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic