question

alaskannoob avatar image
alaskannoob asked

About to take a Dremel to my MPPT RS to connect DC cables -- bad idea?

I think this is okay, but figured I'd check with the collective expertise before I start modifying this thing. My Victron MPPT RS 450/200 uses two sets of DC cables to connect to the bus. And it has an access slot that is just a bit too narrow for these 4/0 cables. My questions are:

a) any issue expanding that opening to fit the cables through, and

mppt-bat-connection.jpg

b) any issue with the two positive cable lugs just barely touching on the terminals (and the negative cables will do same on the negative terminals)?

touching.jpg

Many thanks for generously sharing your thoughts!

mppt rs
touching.jpg (264.3 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
alaskannoob avatar image
alaskannoob answered ·

Apparently that liner around the opening for the DC cables is meant to prevent the plastic from cutting into the insulation, so I don't want to Dremel that.

Plus my lugs are likely too big and touching some electrical component on the right.

So I will just go with 1/0 cables instead. They have an ampacity of 264 at 104F so two of them should be more than plenty for the 200A this MPPT can put out.

10.jpg

10.jpg (304.5 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Much better
1 Like 1 ·