question

fordens avatar image
fordens asked

High output alternator connection to Lynx BMS 500

Hi all,

Planning to install a whole new solar/alternator/wind system on my canal boat, just try to understand how can I connect a high output alternator to my setup.

The idea is to get a controlled Belmar 260ah and use the output to the maximum possible in order to have to run the engine the less possible.

Can I connect the alternator directly to the Lynx Distributor side (supposing that the Lynx BMS 500 will control and manage the charge current) or I miss something in between? I want to avoid to install 5-6 Orion’s just to get the same amperage as an alternator.

thanks in advance

alternator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
mvas avatar image
mvas answered ·

There are several threads discussing the Victron BMS + Balmar + Lynx. Don't forget about the contactor inside the BMS. Have you selected how the BMS will "communicate" with your regulator?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

pwfarnell avatar image
pwfarnell answered ·

What regulator are you planning on for the alternator, the Lynx BMS will communicate charging to a Wakespeed WS500 through the Cerbo GX but I do not think that it works seamlessly with Balmar regulators.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic