question

Riccardo Sala avatar image
Riccardo Sala asked

Two solar panels: one MPPT or two MPPTs?

I have two different solar panels on my van: the first is 90 W @ 18V and the second is 165 W @ 17.84V.

Here is the schematic:

solar.png

I've put the panels in parallel with two (electronic) diodes, connected with one Smart Solar MPPT 100V | 30.

In this scenario, the performance of a single MPPT with the two panels in parallel are better or worse than two MPPTs in parallel, one MPPT for every panel?

Thank you

MPPT SmartSolarSolar Panelcampervan
solar.png (2.0 MiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Michelle Konzack avatar image
Michelle Konzack answered ·

Since the Voc is the same and the Vmpp differs by only 160mV, your setup should work.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Riccardo Sala avatar image
Riccardo Sala answered ·

Thank you Michelle for your very fast reply!

Yes, I can confirm that the setup is already working, the maximum power I've achieved last summer (in Sicily ;) was about 230 W.

My question was whether the MPPT algorithm works better in terms of performance with a single panel or whether it also efficiently handles two panels in parallel with the same voltage but different current.

1 comment
2 |3000

mvas avatar image mvas commented ·

Per Michelle's reply ... Since the Vmppt's are very similar, the MPPT algorithm will perform very well.

1 Like 1 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic