question

klann avatar image
klann asked

solar panels in series or parallel

Hi guys, I have a question....in a campervan installation, I have to connect two 335W panels (Vmpp= 36.8V, Impp= 9.11A) each one to the victron MPPT 100/50, and I've seen that there are people who recommends placing them in series or others in parallel.

What would be the most recommended and why?

Thank you very much, regards.

MPPT SmartSolarSolar Panel
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
nebulight avatar image
nebulight answered ·

Rule of thumb usually is series is more efficient since the voltage will be higher, less current so less voltage drop. However if the panels will be subject to shading (one panel may be shaded while the other one won't be) then parallel is your best bet. However make sure to to check the maxiumum series fuse rating and short circuit current rating. Parallel connections should be fused at each panel if total current is over that rating.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Check also Voc at lowest temperature your installation will experience. This will be much higher than Vmp. Two panels in series may exceed the maximum input voltage of 100.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic