question

h2009 avatar image
h2009 asked

Help with string layout

Hi everyone

I could do with help on getting my strings setup in a better manner. I’m using two different panels JA half cut 390w and JA half cut 460w. Any advice is appreciated. I’ve got 450/100 mppts in my setup

On the drawing it shows my string layout.

String 2 will be shaded on panels 2 and 3.

1fdc56ae-8b87-41f5-a7a8-1ca20ed610d9.png

MPPT SmartSolarSolar Panel
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
ahtrimble avatar image
ahtrimble answered ·

That's a heck of a layout!

I am not going to give you the answer you are looking for but it is a general answer.

1. Combine the same size (v & a) panels in the same string.
  2. Combine the same size (v & a) string in the same array.
  3. Combine each array on its own controller.
  4. If you have a south and west facing array, each array should be on its each controller for max benefit.
  5. It looks as if you have a single panel facing east, don't. Combine it on a S or W string, its realistically not worth a single panel facing east.
  6. Make sure each array doesn't exceed the connected controller limits...in cold weather when energy production is highest.
  7. Make sure you have the same charging profiles for each controller and they are connected together correctly.
  8. I would use a "Lynx Distributor" or a Midnite Combiner Box to combine the charge controllers output, then wire it to the battery bank.

Hope that helps a bit.

Finally, don't forget Victron Wiring Unlimited as a resource.

AH

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic