question

petterms avatar image
petterms asked

Smartsolar MTTP - VRM - reports false serial number - no detailed data available

Have installed a smartsolar mttp controller that is supposed to communicate via BT with a globallink520 to VRM. Smartsolar is on and found in Globallink. It is also reported as a device in VRM, but with having a false serial number. No detailed data is available. Have tried to "check off" the data, but remains greyed out.

Checked FW on the MPPT and it is updated to last version. Have tried to delete the unit in globallink and VRM, but with no effect. It shows up again as having "false serial no." Any ideas or pointers to this?

Greetings,
Petter | Oslo | NO

mppt-img-3876.jpg

smartsolar-vrm-img-3883.jpg

VRMwidget vrm
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
petterms avatar image
petterms answered ·

Here is a screenshot from the mppt setup oage to show the serial noimg-3874.jpeg

img-3874.jpeg (91.0 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jolir avatar image
jolir answered ·

I had exactly the identical scenario as you. I also discovered that not all parameters were sent to VRM, from the MPPT, when they were connected together via BT.

I exchanged the BT connection for a VE.direct cable connection and everything worked fine. The “false serial number” entry also disappeared and all data was sent in every 15 minute poll.

There is clearly some error in Victron’s implementation of the BT connection between the GL520 and the MPPT.

I still connect my BMV712S to my MPPT via BT, so that the BMV is the voltage reference etc, and that works perfectly.

1 comment
2 |3000

petterms avatar image petterms commented ·
Thanks for the response and pointer. I was on the verge of buying a USB/BT dongle. However, from the VRM portal on the web I was able to access the greyed out widgets of the MPPT and add them to the period report, so now everything is working fine and the data is also visible in the ios app. Must be a bug in the system, maybe in the ios app.
0 Likes 0 ·
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) answered ·

Hi @PetterMS

When a product is connected to the GlobalLink using bluetooth, indeed not all data is available. Only the data that VictronConnect is able to show using Instant Readout is available for GlobalLink as it is using the data. In this data, the serial number is not available, so VRM is not able to show it. It is an error that it then shows as "false" and this has been reported to the developers.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

1 comment
2 |3000

petterms avatar image petterms commented ·
Thanks for that info Thiemo. As you see from above, the info I wanted got included when I used the web interface of VRM rather than the ios app. It is also now included in the ios interface. In my mind that asyncronicity is also a bug.
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources