question

adev avatar image
adev asked

MiniBMS compatible with older (non-smart) Lithium batteries?

I’ve just bought (not yet collected) two secondhand, older Vitcron 60ah Lithium batteries. I will charging them with a MPPT 100 | 20 and running only DC loads via the load output on that controller.

My question is, are these older batteries compatible with the MiniBMS? I tried to find the spec sheet for them but I can onlt find that for the newer smart batteries.

Lithium Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

as long as they have the same cable conections as on the minibms then yes they are compatable

5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

adev avatar image adev commented ·

Thanks Paul. As far as I can tell they do... (can just about see the connectors between the centre of that fluke meter). The seller has not been very responsive to my questions and I won’t collect until next weekend.

0 Likes 0 ·
Paul B avatar image Paul B adev commented ·

Yes they look the same

A MiniBMS or a VE-BMS will both work

I like the VE-BMS if you have a multiplus as it turns the charge or the loads off on the inverter without any other relays and then you can control the external loads with a smaller relay and or a charge relay as well.

but if you dont have a Multiplus or a Quattro then a mnibms would be the way to go

0 Likes 0 ·
adev avatar image adev Paul B commented ·

Thanks. I don’t have any other victron equipment. As far as I understand I can use either of those BMS to send a signal to the MPPT to switch off the load. I may ad a battery monitor at some point - in which case would it be better to have the VE.Bus BMS? ie. is there any advantage to that?

0 Likes 0 ·
Paul B avatar image Paul B adev commented ·

No only if at some point you may add a Multiplus or Quattro Inverter/charger.

otherwise stay with the minibms

0 Likes 0 ·
adev avatar image adev Paul B commented ·

ok great, thanks :)

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources