question

deepstar50 avatar image
deepstar50 asked

Venus OS Rasp Pi 3B+ Wifi connection to Teltonika Rut951

Hi A newbie here with Rasp Pi 3B+ and Venus OS interfacing with Smart shunt & MPPT. The system is up and running at the location, which I can access remotely via VRM. My challenge is I am not able to get the wifi on the Pi to jump on to the router, hence I have a ethernet lead connecting the Pi to the router, which works fine. It's not convenient to move either device nor leave the ethernet cable as it is (it's a caravan). Now at home I get the Pi to join my BT router fine. So I am expecting it's a router settings / interface with the Pi/Venus OS that's the issue. The router on location is a Teltonika Rut951, and everything else can connect to it, Mac's, TV, iPhone, Kindles etc. The Pi sees the router and attempts to connect but fails..? Not sure where to go next, with the very long list of settings / IP addresses etc. Any one have any immediate experience of a similar set up, or any ideas? Thank you.

Venus OSwifi
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

Moving to the Modifications Space for more likelihood of visibility by other users with non-directly-supported systems!

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jeroend avatar image
jeroend answered ·

Hi deepstar50, I have a similar setup with RPi and Rut951 working fine. (so at least it is possible ;-))

From experience I can say though that setting up a good Wifi network on the Rut951 can be a pain. Since other devices can connect (and stay connected) the basis should be good enough to go but you do not provide a lot of information here.

You can first try to setup a dedicated Victron network in addition to whatever you have configured already on the rut951 so you can test different settings eg. on the security level.
Start with WPA2-PSK on a 802.11g network with a simple name (avoid special characters) like 'VICTRON' and a simple password too (you can, and probably should, complicate that later once you are sure the connection can be made).

2 comments
2 |3000

deepstar50 avatar image deepstar50 commented ·
Thanks for the feedback, the fact that you have achieved it is re-assuring! I'll take your advice and see about setting up a bespoke Victron network to tinker with. Thanks!
0 Likes 0 ·
deepstar50 avatar image deepstar50 commented ·
Jeroend. Some further feedback. Success, thanks for pointing me down this route. I now appreciate that the 3B+ does not have native WPA3 connectivity. I see there are fixes online to achieve this, perhaps a later project!
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Victron Venus OS Open Source intro page

Venus OS GitHub (please do not post to this)

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic