question

duckman avatar image
duckman asked

rs 450/100 sizing

Hi, i have searched the q and a to the point my head is spinning.

I am trying to configure 2 parralel arrays of 5 or 6 in series into 1 tracker of a 450/100, i make my arrays manually trackable as per the picture attached

SAM_2798.JPGCanadian Solar 380W Solar PV Datasheet.pdf

from reading the "spec sheet confusion post" which i have referred to many times my understanding is that as long as the short circuit amps are in tollerance then the imp has flexibility?

I am using canadian solar 380MS, voc 41.2- isc 11.68- imp 11.02- vmp 34.5

charging pylontech usc3000, so float volatge 51

the other tracker has 6 x 180w BP solar, no problems there

when using the calculator i have to artificially "back" the imp down from 11.08 to 10 to get the calculator to accept it

isc parrameters are accepted by the calculator as is at 11.6 no changes required

ive reached the point of this making my head spin either through stubborness or plain ignorance that perhaps the panels and mppt i have are not that compatible :0/

any help gratefully received

mppt calculator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@duckman

It is the imp/isc that is giving you grief.

One tracker has protection up to 20A isc (short circuit). Two strings will go over that at 11A each.

You should ideally set up have one string per tracker. You can put both in one tracker there is a caveat, it is mentioned in the install manual, if you make mistake, it is not covered by warranty.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

duckman avatar image
duckman answered ·

Hi and thank you for your reply,

In hindsight i would have sized the panels differently re imp/isc, i was too busy working hard to afford the equipment to properly look at the specs, doh!

I`m looking at possibly using 9 in series on one tracker, the BP 180`s as before on tracker two, it will test my engineering to make it trackable, but that is what life is about?

9 in series however results in a potential float voltage issue of 416.8 divided by 8 = 52 thus exceeds my float of 51, though the chances of requiring float on a winters day is zero, plus cabling is in excess of 30metres so there will be some voltage drop

You have confirmed for me the issue re short circuit and warranty, thanks,

I also now have the annoyance of the mppt calculator navigating toward the 48/6000 instead of allowing me to experiment with the parameters of the 450/100, perplexing

I need to re-read (again) the notes given by Guy Stewart under the topic Rs solar 450/100 spec sheet confusion.

Connecting reverse polarity is not something i am likely to do and for sure i only intend doing the engineering 1 time

The trackable arrays i make do allow for adapting for peak solar and leaving the 2 arrays at diverse compass points in peak weather conditions...

Thanks again, your reply is allowing me to evaluate this more clearly

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic