question

global-nomad avatar image
global-nomad asked

MPPT 250/60 and 3x400W Sunpower Maxeon 3 in series

For 3x400 W Sunpower Maxeon (400 W, Voc 75.6, Isc 6.58) solar panels in series, is MPPT 250/60 a good choice? I have three 48V Pylontech 5000 batteries.

The MPPT excel calculator says it is ok, but I am not sure if I have everything right and if I have entered all the data correctly in the excel.

At minus 19 degrees, the spreadsheet says that the MPPT 250 is no good. Should I expect such a cold panel temperature?kep1.jpg

mppt calculator
kep1.jpg (112.8 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

@Global Nomad The maths in the calculator is correct, 248v @-15c for a string of 3 panels.

If your array is subject to temperatures of -15c, your array Voc will approach 250v.

How cold will it get?? Use record low temp data.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

global-nomad avatar image global-nomad commented ·

Thank you for the answer!

In the excel you can set the temperature of the panel, but it will probably be warmer than the air temperature. The question would be, how cold would the air have to be to get the panel temperature to -19 degrees Celsius in sunny conditions? -25C? -30C?

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ global-nomad commented ·
@Global Nomad

Use the lowest recorded temperature for the area you live in from weather reports. They don't get colder than that and it is a safe assumption.

Make sure you have entered the temperature coefficient figures correctly for the panel data.

Check basic expected irradiance figures as well.

0 Likes 0 ·
global-nomad avatar image global-nomad Alexandra ♦ commented ·

It will be installed on a motorhome and is planned to be used on several continents in varying climates.

0 Likes 0 ·
patricknl avatar image
patricknl answered ·

What continents and regions? Anything above 250V would be a no-go for this setup. And If you plan on going wintercamping in Canadaor anything like Norway/Finland or Sweden -15 would be surpassed..

Considering you are using them on a motorhome (with probably less than 30years of expected use) why would you use such an expensive panel? Various other 400WP panels with similar sizes, a small bit wider... If that isn't the issue I'd go with those.

4 comments
2 |3000

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

@PatrickNL@Global Nomad Some pretty good points there.

I would not expect panels to be colder than actual air temp.

A couple of things to add though.

The Vmp of the panels is high enough so that a 3 parallel array can charge 16 series LiFeP04 batteries (not LA though), even at panel temps of 75c. (Vmp of 58v) Voc of a 3 parallel array is OK for a 150v mppt..

The Isc of a 3 parallel array is 20.3a (@ 75c), might need series fuses or diodes. 20a is well within the rating or a single 6mm run of PV cable. 20a is well under the 30a limit for MC4 connectors.

Plenty of options...

0 Likes 0 ·
patricknl avatar image patricknl klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

True but still Canada and our northern countries see plenty of cold nights and days. I wouldn't go out in them in a regular motorhome though ;). But if the TS is going there he might...

The US5000s don't get up to 58v I believe 52.3 is their maximum Voltage. The Jinkos I calculated (470Wp 1900mm long versions) that I have for my home system have a 42,4V Voc each and produce 88.6V in series (3 total) at 75C (which I used for my setup too by coincidence). This would be more than enough for those US5000s. At the coldest they would provide 139V.

This way TS could use a smaller and way cheaper 150/40 to provide power to his system. Using other 400WP panels would results in a cheaper/smaller system.

Correct me if I'm wrong please :).

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ patricknl commented ·

More good points :).

I cant imagine how cold -15c is, Bbbrrr.

0 Likes 0 ·
patricknl avatar image patricknl klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
It's cold haha! It's been that cold here once a few years back. No Fun!

Let's wait for his/her response and go from there

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic