question

lcollis avatar image
lcollis asked

Energy deverting to hot water

We were considering going with a solar hot water system to pair with our wet back BUT they're not cheap and the more I think about it the more I wonder if we should just run it off an electric element. Our previous off grid system was fully charged most of the time by around 10am and most of the extra power generated by the panels was wasted during the day. So wetback in bad weather and solar in good weather?! Is there any way to push all extra energy generated into the hot water cylinder without ever touching our batteries? Is this a common thing to do? Is the quattro the simplest way to go?

We'll be looking at using a 8kw quattro paired with the 450/100 mppt, cerbo and 8kw of panels, 4kw at North facing and 4kW at North West.

Side question - on the unlikely event that we used more than 8kw at once can we programme generator to start automatically to provide us with more power?

Cheers!

Hot Water Diversion
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Michelle Konzack avatar image
Michelle Konzack answered Ā·

I have programmed the Relays of my SmartSolar to switch on a heating element in my 200l boiler and if it is hot at 72Ā°C it switch over to the heating buffer in the house or the GreenHouse when the Battery goes into Float

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

matt1309 avatar image
matt1309 answered Ā·

Hi @Lcollis

Yes, several ways to achieve your setup. As Michelle mentions you can use relays on Smart Solar I believe Quattro also has a relay that could be programmed. However with a gx device you could also use node red to activate a smart switch to turn on a hot water heater (electric element) which might be more useful if the water heater is some distance away.

Also yes, same scenario with auto start on generator, I believe the quattro has a relay support for this. Using both at the same time might need some consideration if you only have one relay but definitely doable with a few extra relays I imagine. (Using a smart switch that is activated via node red on gx device to turn on the water heater is the first solution that springs to mind and then the on board relay can be used to start generator)

2 |3000

sean avatar image
sean answered Ā·
2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic