question

bradley-thompson avatar image
bradley-thompson asked

Dumb charger vs SmartSolar for battery health?

I have a "dumb" charger that outputs a constant 13.6v to my battery system and a rooftop solar array powered by a Victron MPPT. Is it better for me to leave the charger on the battery bank (2x6v GC2 Lead-acid batteries) or let the Victron handle the charging (which obviously only happens during the day)? The tradeoff being that I cycle between 5-10% of the battery's capacity every night vs. potentially boiling the battery to death with my dumb charger.

battery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

@Bradley Thompson potentially boiling the battery to death with my dumb charger.

Probably not going to boil the battery, but certainly will not properly charge the battery.

The voltage is to low to properly charge the batt. Also sitting at 13.6v will lead to a sulfated battery. Also the voltage has to get high enough for some bubbling to occur, to stir the acid in the cells, to prevent density stratification of the acid.

Keep the dumb charger for use when there is not enough sun for the mppt to charge your batt.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.