question

andre67 avatar image
andre67 asked

Why I cannot reach ZERO consumption in my ON-GRID ESS ?

I cannot reach ZERO consumption from grid ; Why do I consume 0,1 kWh from grid every 4/5 hours ?

I could switch off the main breaker at grid arrival, but there is certainly a more suitable solution...

I have ESS Mode Optimized (with BatteryLife), Grid setpoint = 20W, and I use 2 ET112 energymeters (one for grid and the other for PV-AC production).

How can I manage the victron ESS to achieve my goal = ZERO consumption ?consommation-100wh-chaque-5-heures.jpgconsommations-100wh-chaque-5-heures.jpg

ESSgrid
12 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@ANDRE67

If you have a grid set point of 250W it will do that.

Sometimes it is set like that so there is no accidental feedback.

Are you allowed to feedback? Or is there a tolerance for slight or accidental feedback?

But looking at your set up and useage, you could easily switch off the grid and not care. There is also the option of AC ignore until a certain battery level....

0 Likes 0 ·
andre67 avatar image andre67 Alexandra ♦ commented ·

Yes I reject the excess energy to the grid

OK I will try to increase Grid setoint up to 250W... wait & see...

0 Likes 0 ·

I didn't find the option of AC ignore in the ESS ; I have only this 1681295304471.png

0 Likes 0 ·
1681295304471.png (79.8 KiB)
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ andre67 commented ·
It is not part of ESS. It can be configured on the inverter with Victron connect: Conditional AC input control.
0 Likes 0 ·
Sorry but 250W as grid setpoint is a bad idea : consumption is much higher :-(
0 Likes 0 ·
The comment was saying that was too high, so lower the setpoint to something with a better balance. It wasn’t a suggestion to set it to 250W.
0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ andre67 commented ·

@ANDRE67

What I said was if your grid set point was at 250W that is what you would see. Your picture in your original post shows the draw from grid at 250w. So I concluded 250W over 4 hours is 1 kwh of consumption.....

Under the inverter in device list you can switch the systen to inverter only from the GX. This will stop grid synchronisation (you will hear the relay disconnect). So it will disconnect your system from grid without touching a breaker and you can reconnect (even remotely) whenever you want to.

ESS tests the grid with a bit of push pull every now and then, so there is always an exchange of some kind. As other have said, unavoidable unless you disconnect.

0 Likes 0 ·

ok I understand ; confusion came because I wrote Grid setpoint = 20W. Thanks for second remark, but how can I "switch the systen to inverter only from the GX" ?

0 Likes 0 ·
pedaaa avatar image pedaaa andre67 commented ·
set a negative grid set point, like -50 ot -200W

use a faster gridmeter, like EM540 or use CT-clamps if possible (=faster than gridmeter)
1 Like 1 ·
andre67 avatar image andre67 pedaaa commented ·

are really CT clamps faster than energymeters ? it will depend on their electronic controller... which ones do you suggest ? But CT clamps are less accurate ?

0 Likes 0 ·
pedaaa avatar image pedaaa andre67 commented ·

yes, CT is faster. Its directly connected with instant reaction.

Any Gridmeter instead has several delays in terms of modbus update rate and GX communication to the multis.

downside of CT's is that you have cable length restrictions and VRM does not sum up the energy of all 3 phases correclty like EM24 or EM540 meters would do

1 Like 1 ·
marcve avatar image marcve commented ·
@andre67. I noticed, that when you set the feed to grid to "zero amp ", the software sets it back to 1 amp. So, I have the same issue.

As I mentioned in another topic. It looks like victron programmed the sofware in a way that even when the batteries are completely "dead", the victron can still execute all it needs to do, because it will still take power from the grid = is put power the grid.

0 Likes 0 ·
5 Answers
gazza avatar image
gazza answered ·

You won't.. I don't know what your Inverter is but there is always a "zero load" power consumption. The only way is to turn everything off when you know you are not using any power. Very tedious? Probably not good for the system. You just have to take that "very small" power drain as part of the deal?

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

andre67 avatar image andre67 commented ·

I have 4 micro-inverters DS3-L from APSystems. But 100Wh consumtion occurs either during day or night

0 Likes 0 ·
marcve avatar image marcve commented ·
Looks like he using a solis pv inverter ( lookingat the picture ). But, I understand his question. Victron is a great system, but it takes some time to get it right.
0 Likes 0 ·
jeanmarie avatar image
jeanmarie answered ·

Unfortunately, the ESS mode use the grid as a buffer and is always exchanging with it some Watts to balance it's power

The result is, yes, a consumption / injection from/to the grid. I guess it depend of the size of the inverter. I have a 10kVA one and I can witness roughly 0,4kWh / day imported and 0,4kWh imported

The only way to hide this is to switch off the grid (and the ESS de facto)

2 |3000

andre67 avatar image
andre67 answered ·

Hello Victron Service engineers, could you please give the Victron answer, because I can tell thank you to all contributors who gave me these different answers to "remove" these low consumptions :

1-switch off the grid every night

2-use Mode Optimized (Without BatteryLife) instead WITH BatteryLife

3-set Grid setpoint = 250W

4-Set Grid setpoint = 0W

5-Set Grid setpoint = -20W

What is the Victron answer ? Thanks in advance

13 comments
2 |3000

Craig Chamberlain avatar image Craig Chamberlain commented ·
Hi, please bear in mind that this is a Victron community forum, not an official support site. If you want official support them you are supposed to get that through whoever sold the equipment to you. Just wanted to point that out in case you weren’t aware.
0 Likes 0 ·
andre67 avatar image andre67 Craig Chamberlain commented ·
Hi, ok I understand. The company who sold me the ESS has no solution to my demand = ZERO consumption.

Perhaps a user of the community has solved this issue ?

Perhaps a Victron engineer is listening to the questions of their end users, and is willing to answer to their needs ?

Thanks in advance

1 Like 1 ·
There can never be zero consumption in ESS as the inverter is synced to the grid and some power will flow in and out due to loads.

Your only solution is to drop the AC In which you can do conditionally via victron connect directly to the inverter, using either voltage, SOC etc as the conditions to automatically disconnect/reconnect grid.

This is the way the system is designed to work.

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ andre67 commented ·

What you want is just impossible.

Switching bigger loads ON/OFF will always cause some power to come from the grid/go to the grid for a few seconds.

The System need some time to react.

The only thing you can do is to disconnect your system from the grid.

0 Likes 0 ·
andre67 avatar image andre67 Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
Somebody suggested to have -200W as grid setpoint. In this case why is not the battery providing the power ?
0 Likes 0 ·

If you just want to prevent consumption from the grid you cat set the grid setpoint to a negative value but with that you will always feedback that amount of energy into the grid.

In worst case you will empty your whole battery into the grid.

0 Likes 0 ·
oh, this could be interested, because I am allowed to reject excess power back to the grid (I do not have a contract for 0 export). So with this negative grid setpoint, would I reach my goal = 0 grid consumption ? Of course limit is given by the battery when minimum SOC is reached, then grid will supply ? Could you please confirm ?
0 Likes 0 ·

I don't think you will get to 0.0000000kWh.

If you switch on a big load (electric kettle, coffee maker, electric stove ...) you will still have some power coming from the grid for a few seconds.

To prevent that you might hat to set it to -1000 or -2000 and that will discharge you battery quickly and you have to buy more energy from the grid.

But to be honest I don't see any reason why you want that...

-1 Like -1 ·

My goal was to have a "clean sheet" or "zero" grid consumption during 8 monthes per year. In winter with the power of the Heating pump it is impossible, especially due to much less sun. Just to be able to show to my friends the proof from the grid supplier that it is possible to be 100% autonomous during 8 monthes per year with an appropriate installation. I agree with you that a very small amount grid consumption is of course acceptable. Thank you again very much.

0 Likes 0 ·
andre67 avatar image andre67 andre67 commented ·
Today at 10h00, I switched grid setpoint from 20W to 0W, and actually I have ZERO grid consumption ; but today I did not have big loads switching on / off.... so I will try with -20 / -50W... wait & see. Noch ein mal VIELEN DANK Matthias !
0 Likes 0 ·
ejrossouw avatar image ejrossouw andre67 commented ·

1681407125404.png

Example of a system with a -30 grid setpoint. The supplier billed vs the rounded VRM.

1 Like 1 ·
1681407125404.png (74.7 KiB)
hominidae avatar image hominidae andre67 commented ·
I have the same "issue"...it is introduced by some latency in the ESS loop/algorithms and laggs between GX and grid- meter and PV-inverter measurements, especially when large loads switch on/off or PV-intake changes (clouds) fast....in addition, there might be regulations, where the Inverter is not allowed to change current too fast.

With my Cerbo running v2.92 and an EM24 as grid meter, I see approx 0.25kWh per day consumption from grid....with running v3.00b29, I see that cut almost in half, to 0.15kWh/day.

Deploying are newer grid-meter model, like the ET540, should give even better results, as claimed in the release notes from v3.00-beta (see modifications section in the forum).

0 Likes 0 ·
andre67 avatar image andre67 hominidae commented ·
Thank you for your information ; today I updated last version cerbo GX V2.94.... then I will wait for the v3.00. I hope it will help for the users like me who are allowed to inject excess power back to the grid, and also who agree to give some power from battery ... in order to achieve the "ZERO consumption" goal !
0 Likes 0 ·
markess avatar image
markess answered ·

In my residential ESS system I set the grid set-point to -10W. It pulls around 0.1kWh from the grid each day (24hr).

2 |3000

marcve avatar image
marcve answered ·
2 |3000

Related Resources

What is ESS training video

ESS Quick Installation Guide

ESS design and installation manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic