question

avongil avatar image
avongil asked

Magnatek 6409 to 12/12-18 Jumps to 20v input - Solved

Hi everyone, I have an Orion TR Smart 12 | 12-18 isolated that takes the 13.8v input from a Magnatek 6409 (9 amp RV converter). As soon as I plug it in, even though the lithium iron battery is not connected to the output, the voltage jumps up to 20v on the input line !!!

Any thoughts on this? I have not wired in tow vehicle power yet, I don't want 20v going into my tow vehicle.

Right now I am testing it, and the input line is around 17v. The Magnatek goes right to the Orion. The output of the Orion to the Pop Up campers branch circuit. Output seems fine, around 14 volts depending on charge state.

I am thinking excess power consumption makes the Magnatek output too much voltage, but im not sure yet. I am thinking of replacing the Magnatek with a simple 30 amp 13.8 v power supply for shore power if this is the case.

orion dc-dcshorepower
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
avongil avatar image
avongil answered ·

One more hint... when I power off everything, the orion reads about 7 volts then drops down slowly to 4 before the Bluetooth disconnects. Perhaps there is a busted diode or something else in the Orion?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

avongil avatar image
avongil answered ·

I believe the Magnatek is bad. swapped the input with a battery charger and it worked like a champ.

Nothing wrong with the Orion.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Victron DC to DC Converters Product Range

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic