question

ulno avatar image
ulno asked

Lithium charge cycle

New at Victron and attached lithium frpm GWL I got ESS work and charge in bulk mode but continued up to 100% and BMS warned for voltage. Current dropped so it seems BMS talks to Multiplus II via Cerbo. However it stays in bulk mode even though with decreased current for charge. Is this normal? SHould not the system leave bulk mode sometime? :)

//Ulf

Lithium Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@ulno

It will depend on how the battery bms handles the system.

Some batteries like Pylontec and its seems your one, do not show bulk absorption float. They seem to rather hover around certain voltages varying the current.

Yours being new might need to some time to top balance. In my experience, I have seen some batteries take over 5 discharges to 30% and then back to full to do this. Others need to be left on keep batteries charged and left to self manage for about a week where they switch between charge and discharge.

Load up in the vrm advance tab the bms cell min and max widget and you will see what is going on there. Sometimes it is one or two cells that run up faster than others, so the bms tells the system to relax on the charge until the cell is under control, then it will command more amps again.

Assuming you have programmed everything correctly and checked the system is reading the same as the bms then you should be fine.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ulno avatar image ulno commented ·
Thanks for your prompt answer. Good knowledge achieved overhere :) Very scarse info from the vendor of the behaviour of the battery. I assume they want me to pay for support ;)...

However until then, I added widget to display cell max min, nr batteries but it seems as the LG bms has these datatypes but I suspect has not implemented posting of data into them as there is nothing displayed. The bms is can connected to the cerbo so this should work even though the inverter/charger is not turned on I believe.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources