question

eyacht avatar image
eyacht asked

CANvu display - will not read .swu file from USB

FINAL OUTCOME - I loaded the v2.94 swu file (the v2 one and 1 version on from the 2.93 files I was using) onto one of the new USB sticks and it ran as it is supposed to; all three displays are now updated. I followed the same process as before but the combo of using the v2 file on this particular USB stick seems to be what it wanted. NO IDEA why this worked while the other combinations did not. Doesn't seem a very robust process overall. Thank you everyone for your help - it's much appreciated.

UPDATE: I finally got my hands on two brand new USB sticks; put the CANvu swu file on them and inserted them. The display said no software file found, same as before. That's now 5 different USB sticks. This should be the easiest thing to do and it's driving me crazy. How do I get a straight answer from Victron as to why three of their CANvu display units will not update by USB? If it's something I'm doing wrong then great (because my displays aren't stuffed!). All I'm doing is downloading the swu file to the freshly formatted USB stick, navigating the display to "update firmware using USB" and inserting it in the back. What else should I be doing?

Original post below ...

I have seen two other questions about this and neither got an answer - hoping for a better outcome!

I have 3 CANvu displays and I'm getting an Error 25 - firmware incompatible fault since updating the firmware in my Quattros (48V/5KW), although only on the port side for some reason, despite the starboard side being identical.

My CANvu displays are at v2.61 (2020) and the latest version is v2.93. The issue is that I put the USB in the back of the display with the .swu file on it and it doesn't recognise it - says "no firmware file found" or something like that. I have tried 3 different brands of USB sticks.

I actually doubt the display is recognising the presence of a USB stick because I don't get the message about data logging that you're supposed to. I also don't get the extra option in the display to safely remove the USB although I do get the message when I pull the USB out that it was removed incorrectly.

Any suggestions for how to update the firmware would be appreciated - thank you in advance.

firmware updatedisplay
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

I see two sets of .swu files for can: venus-swu-canvu500 ... and venus-swu-2-canvu500. Not sure what the difference is but might try both.

5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

eyacht avatar image eyacht commented ·
@Kevin Windrem - where are you seeing these files? I thought I had CCGX displays but actually have CANvu displays so perhaps I'm trying to load the wrong file. Do you have a link you could share please? I'm looking under GX displays but there's nothing there for CANvu.
0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem eyacht commented ·

I looked on Victron professional and don't see files CanVu there. Strange.

All GX device firmware is here:

http://updates.victronenergy.com/feeds/venus/

Folders at this link include release and beta versions for all platforms.

You can also update firmware using online updates to the latest released or "release candidate" (beta) if you have an internet connection.

0 Likes 0 ·
eyacht avatar image eyacht Kevin Windrem commented ·
@Kevin Windrem - I get a page not found error when clicking that link. I found a CANvu swu file buried in a link in some documentation but I don't see any iterations of versions in the pro site. I tried the file I found and the same thing happened - it's like the display refused to update from the USB and just doesn't recognise it at all. So I'm stumped.
0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem eyacht commented ·
1 Like 1 ·
eyacht avatar image eyacht Kevin Windrem commented ·
Thanks Kevin ... I don't know the difference between the swu2 and the other file ... I tried the bottom one and same problem. I think the only way I'm going to be able to do this is with a USB dongle and update over the internet. This should be so easy and there is zero support for it.
0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·
3 comments
2 |3000

@nickdb - thanks for this is for the CCGX display; I have CANvu displays and they do not have an SD slot, just the USB slot in the back.
0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ eyacht commented ·
All indications are they are compatible, sd not withstanding. Give it a try.
0 Likes 0 ·
eyacht avatar image eyacht nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
I already have some days ago when I thought my displays were CCGX ... they just do not recognise the USB stick it seems. Going to try an internet USB dongle.
0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

Have you checked what filesystem the usb stick is formatted with? It may be that these older units are expecting a smaller fat formatted disk.

1 comment
2 |3000

Thank Nick - yes, they're all formatted FAT32.

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi,

Sorry to hear about your issues!

Try once with the latest venus-swu-*** file and if that doesn’t work the latest venus-swu-2-*** file that are available for download here:

http://updates.victronenergy.com/feeds/venus/release/images/canvu500/

All the best, Matthijs

2 comments
2 |3000

Hi Matthijs - that link goes to a 404 error page.
0 Likes 0 ·