question

Rob Duthie avatar image
Rob Duthie asked

Energy Meter ET112 Firmware

Energy Meter ET112 Firmware B-1 OK, B-2 firmware no communications at all with controller.

ET112 this meter has newer firmware version B-2 and does not work, with the Victron mulitplus2, i used a older ET112 energy meter with firmware B-1 for testing at it works OK.
Something is different in the firmware as the Victron wont respond, But with the Carlo Gavazzi software works OK for testing etc. checked the Comms setting all the same as the older units.

The Mulitplus2 has all the latest firmware updates and the controller has the latest updates.

Energy Meter
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Izak (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Izak (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi Rob, when you say it does not work, do you mean it doesn't show up in the Device List at all, or something else? You have to excuse us software people, when you say something doesn't work we will always ask you to be more specific :-)

0 Likes 0 ·
Rob Duthie avatar image Rob Duthie Izak (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi Izak

Found out the problem there is limitation on the number of address you can set the ET112 to, i was setting it to address# 3 which the CCGX wont except it only excepts up to 1 & 2 address per USB port, as i will have three energy meters on my test network.

So to use three you have to use another USB port. cant use more than 3 per USB port in parallel.

So i looks like only two energy meter addresses per USB port max address# 1 & 2 only.

Have tested and confirmed on my hardware.

Is there in the code to allow more RS485 address numbers? under /dev/ttyUSB0 ?

I use Bitvise to edit my code etc. under SSH.

So the firmware version number 2 of the ET112 is OK just can't use a Address number higher than 2 on the CCGX and Rasp i units.

There needs to be notes added to the Energy meter documents about this limitation

of the address number that can be used, or a change in the code to allow higher address numbers.

Note: i have noticed you can change the address number under energy meters ID# 30 to 39. range. this has no effect if you have to energy meters on the same ID# have tested and confirmed on my test rig. What dos this do?

I use the Carlo Gavazzi configuration software to confirm changes etc.

Regards

Rob D

New Zealand.

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
Izak (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Izak (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi Rob,

Yes, technically this is possible (more meters on the same cable), but there isn't any real demand for it and we're working on other more pressing things. Once users start splicing such cables it also adds to our support load when meters don't work. It is absolutely amazing how people will complain about a meter not working without ever suspecting that their own splice might be the problem. We therefore prefer that one cable is used per meter, which is also why the existing option for two meters isn't terribly well advertised.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Rob Duthie avatar image Rob Duthie commented ·

Hi Izak

Thanks for that info, running two meter on one cable i have no problems at all. There is just a limit on how many address # they except on one cable, you just cant use Address higher than # 3 that at all on just one cable.

Regards

Rob D

NZ

0 Likes 0 ·
apple047 avatar image apple047 commented ·
Hi Izak, the demand is increasing, :)

identical challenge here, have you considered lifting the number of meters per busline?

Thanks, George

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniel avatar image
Daniel answered ·

Did you try a terminator 120ohm for 3 meters?

1 comment
2 |3000

offgridsolutions avatar image offgridsolutions commented ·
you dont use terminators if your using the usb-rs485 adaptor as its built in, but if you want to be correct the last device on the string you should link terminal 3 to 4 as per the manual
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources