question

path avatar image
path asked

Generator connection to cerbo

We want to connect relay 1 on the Cerbo to start and stop our generator automatically whenever the system decides that the battery bank voltage is too low and the solar panels are not providing enough input on a cloudy day and it needs to charge the batteries.

We also want to have 1 wire for keeping the generator battery charged.

The generator auto start has 1 positive connection, 1 negative connection and 1 for keeping the battery charged.

Can all this be done through relay 1 and if so which wire do we connect where ?

generator auto start
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
josch avatar image
josch answered ·

Hello, I switch my inverter with relay 1. He works up to 20%soc and then switches off. at 35% soc he switches on again. Relay1 OFF -> Connection left and centre are switched through. Relay1 ON -> Connection Right and centre are switched throug

img-4116.jpeg

img-4116.jpeg (1.6 MiB)
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

iamfound74 avatar image iamfound74 commented ·

Hello josch, thank you for your post.

I connected my cable to relay 1 left > open and center > common. Would this be the reason my generator will not start a manual start via my GX Touch 50?sc-relay-1-works-up-to-20soc-and-then-switches-off.jpeg

0 Likes 0 ·
josch avatar image josch iamfound74 commented ·

Hello,

You now have no signal with your connection. You get the signal in the START/STOP generator -> manual

img-5040.png

img-5041.png

0 Likes 0 ·
img-5040.png (1.1 MiB)
img-5041.png (749.5 KiB)
josch avatar image
josch answered ·

You now have no signal with your connection. You get the signal in the START/STOP generator -> manual menu

img-5040.png

img-5041.png

img-5040.png (1.1 MiB)
img-5041.png (749.5 KiB)
2 |3000

iamfound74 avatar image
iamfound74 answered ·

Thank you for your quick reply. I already tried the "START/STOP generator -> manual menu" yet with no success.

Please know that I replaced (2) VFXR3648A Outback Inverters with (2) MultiPlus-II, (Paralleled-Split-Phase) inverters.

The original connection from the generator to the Outbacks was via, what I’m assuming was a three-wire interface. The (3) wires (all red) coming from the generator were then connected to a 5-pin relay (V23234-C1001-X005 with its 5-prong pigtail/harness with black, blue, red, white, & yellow wires).

The black and white wires were connected to the “Master” Outback inverter via its “Auxiliary + (positive) & - (negative)”.

Once I swapped the inverters, I connected the black wire to the > (NO) and the white wire to the > (COM) on the relay 1 slot via the provided terminal block for the Cerbo GX communication-center.

Please know that I’m able to turn the generator on manually, via the generator’s (14kW Generac) control panel and the GX Touch 50 and VRM do illustrate the Generator’s AC in input and thus is registered, yet when I try to start the generator manually with the GX Touch 50 or via the VRM, the GX Touch illustrates that the Generator has “started” and is “running” yet in fact the generator has not turned on.

What am I doing wrong? Any insight or orientation would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance…

sc-3-relay-1-works-up-to-20soc-and-then-switches-o.jpeg

sc-4-relay-1-works-up-to-20soc-and-then-switches-o.jpeg

sc-5-relay-1-works-up-to-20soc-and-then-switches-o.jpeg

sc-6-relay-1-works-up-to-20soc-and-then-switches-o.jpeg

sc-7-relay-1-works-up-to-20soc-and-then-switches-o.jpeg

2 |3000

josch avatar image
josch answered ·

sorry, I can't help you control and wire your devices.

2 |3000