question

seasun avatar image
seasun asked

setting up remote access monitoring.

Hi, I'm helping the owner of an off grid property who wants remote access to his energy/power system when he's away from the property. It's a new (5 month old) system and the installers have not shown a lot of interest with follow up support which is why I'm reaching out for support.

I have minimal tech knowledge of these things. I did try a search of previos posts but I'm not even sure what I should be looking for.

A VRM online account has been set up.

Components of system:
In the shed:

* EasySolar II GX MPPT 250|100
* SmartSolar charge controller MPPT 250 | 6 - tr
* lynx power in 1000
* BYD battery
* BYD Ethernet Inverter unit

In the house:

* D-link DIR-615 (which shows up on a search for wifi networks but doesn't seem to be connected to the internet. It has a data cable connected to it that I assume goes to the EasySolar GX but from having a look it's not clear.
* Everis tablet connected to D-Link via wi-fi showing the monitoring page of the system via "Remote Console on LAN"
* There is a separate 'Smart Modem 2' in the house (which was not here when the energy system was first installed) for internet but is not connected to the energy system.

Plan that has so far been suggested is to remove the D-Link modem and connect the data cable that was going to it to the Smart Modem ethernet port.

Is a reboot of the EasySolar || GX required to point to the new set up with the Smart Modem? Or something else? I'm worried if I do a reboot I'll mess up the current settings on the whole system. I can see there is a switch at the bottom/underneath the EasySolar || GX that I assume is a power switch. Or can a reboot take place using the small LED panel with a scrolling button?

Thanks for your help.

VRM
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

seasun avatar image seasun commented ·

img-8146.jpg System set up

0 Likes 0 ·
img-8146.jpg (811.5 KiB)
1 Answer
matt1309 avatar image
matt1309 answered ·

Hi @seasun

Just to make sure I understand your question. Current setup the EasySolar is connected to a network via a DLink router. And you can access Cerbo gx LAN page when on the DLink wifi network using the IP of the Cerbo GX?

I assume given you're looking to change networks that the DLink doesnt have an external internet connection? And the new Smart modem 2 does? If Dlink has an external internet connection you can setup remote access by going into settings on Cerbogx lan page -> VRM online portal and enabling logging, then copy the VRM Portal ID from this page into you VRM app/website login.

If Dlink doesn't have a external internet connection and I've understood the question correctly what you'll need to do is like you said unplug from dlink and plug into the new modem/router. This will likely assign the cerbo gx a new internal IP address.

ie say on DLink network you're connecting to lan page using IP 192.168.1.xxx, on the new router that could change to 192.168.1.yyy.

To find x and y you can either log into the router (see manual for the routers) or you can use a network scanning app to find the IPs when you're connect to the wifi of each network (Personally i like the android app Fing for this but any network/ip scanning app will work).

If at the moment (on dlink router) you're using venus.local address to connect to lan page then you may be able to use this again however in my experience using a hostname ie venus.local, instead of IP can sometimes not work especially on a new network.

I cant foresee any other settings being reset or change by you connecting to a different network, and if you find that once you swap networks you can't change settings then should be able to just plug back into the old dlink network.

You might want to do some research into the Dlink router as it may support an access point mode. Whereby it stops acting as a modem and just a router/access point. Then you'll be able to plug Smart modem 2 into Dlink router and use the Smart Modem 2 connection and the dlink router just acts like an access point/network switch. That way you wouldnt need to change any settings on cerbo as it'll be connected to DLink which is connected to internet via the smart modem

As far as I'm aware reboots aren't required for network setting changes. At least I've never had to on my setup however I'm using a raspberry pi rather than a built in cerbogx

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.