question

mike-snape-zw avatar image
mike-snape-zw asked

4 kw lithium, 3 kVA multiplus conflict with SMA 2.5 KW gridtie

I have a 3 KVA multiplus with a 200AH 48 volt lead acid battery bank with a SMA 2.5 kw gridtie on the ac 1 output running with the ESS assistant. it has been running perfectly for some time.

i have upgraded my battery to a 4 KWH huawei Lithium battery.

with the lithium connected as soon as the sunnyboy starts producing power the inverter and battery shut down instantly.

why would this happen?

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerLithium Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

Howsit Mike

Who recommended that battery for you? I don't think it is a supported one, it certainly isn't on the current battery compatibility list:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/battery_compatibility:start

Most commercial lithium batteries like this need to have a "keep alive" signal to assure the battery that it will be able to instruct the system that it is full / empty or has a fault.
Batteries which are not on the compatibility list are unlikely to have been integrated yet and will shutdown if they don't receive valid messages from the Victron system.

It's possible that the battery is allowing discharge whilst it still has capacity, but won't allow charge without valid communications.

Does it charge when / if ZESA is available? I suspect the battery disconnects if this condition ever arises also?

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mike-snape-zw avatar image mike-snape-zw commented ·

i know its not a compatible unit but its what i could get in my price range. with ZESA/mains available it is charging at the full 35 amp the inverter can produce.

the only time there is an issue is as soon as the SMA tries to back feed to the mains or charge the battery during a power cut it shuts down as soon as the sma starts producing power.

0 Likes 0 ·
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

your title says lithium battery but the description says lead acid.

could you please supply a full system diagram and description of how its setup.

this will help us all when giving you advice

if you have a 4K 48 volt lithium with inbuilt BMS then you may find that it CANT deliver the amps that are required to run you systems. and thus the batteries BMS is turning the battery OFF, nothing to do with the Victron system, its just that the battery is not upto the system requirements

The above is a guess and untill I know more details thats ALL it is.

2 comments
2 |3000

mike-snape-zw avatar image mike-snape-zw commented ·

the Battery discharges and charges perfectly with mains power present or in a power cut.

the issue is as soon as the SMA starts to backfeed into ac output 1 to start charging with the inverter charger the battery shuts down instantly.

even if the battery is charging on mains, as soon as the SMA kicks in the battery shuts down?

the battery is a Huawei ESM-48100a1

0 Likes 0 ·
mike-snape-zw avatar image mike-snape-zw mike-snape-zw commented ·

basic Diagram ;)

0 Likes 0 ·
system-design.png (16.1 KiB)
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

Mike you will just need to try different things, Ie put a lead acid in and see what happens, if the batteries BMS is shutting down theirs not much that can be done I would think.

unless you can confirm why

how is the batteries BMS connected to the MP and what assistants are in use.

what are the BMS parameters and how does it work in that battery,

all this would be needed to be able to help you

a Schematic diagram of the battery and the BMS would also help.

how about sending me a copy of the inverters VE config file, to have a look at

2 |3000

ee21 avatar image
ee21 answered ·

It sounds like the feed in current from the PV inverter may be triggering an overcurrent disconnect in the BMS. Have you tried enabling the "limit charging power" setting in the ESS configuration? Try a low value, I would suggest C/10 to test, so about 400W for your 4KWH system

2 |3000