question

Simo Hassi avatar image
Simo Hassi asked

A different LFP imbalance problem

I have charged two brand new Victron LiFePO4 25,6V/200Ah Smart batteries separately in order to connect them in series for a 48 V system. Charging setup includes Blue Smart IP22 24/8 charger, SmallBMS and Cyrix-Li-Charge 24/48-120. One of the batteries was charged and balanced OK.

The other battery was charged OK in terms of voltage but it still indicates imbalance in VictronConnect. Also last full charge is "Unknown" even if the charger had after bulk and absorption reached storage status. Maximum voltage difference between cells is only 0,01 V. Obviously this battery is in fact well balanced but it doesn't appear in VictronConnect. How could I wake up its "balanced" status?

screenshot-20230322-114934.jpg

Lithium Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

@Simo Hassi give your battery another charge cycle. It needs to spend some time at 14.2v while the cells even out their voltage.

The BMS might cut charge until cell voltage is stable.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Simo Hassi avatar image
Simo Hassi answered ·

In fact I already gave another charge cycle the and imbalance stands. I reckon it should be discharged and then recharged. Just now I cannot do that because the batteries are for an electric boat and our waters are still ice covered. I must wait for couple of weeks.

1 comment
2 |3000

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

@Simo Hassi as per Smart Battery Manual it might take several charge cycles to fully balance your battery.

0 Likes 0 ·
Simo Hassi avatar image
Simo Hassi answered ·

I just wonder why is the battery indicating imbalance when cells are clearly balanced with only 0,01 V difference in voltage?

1 comment
2 |3000

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

@Simo Hassi as per my previous post, the cells will only be balanced at the batteries absorption voltage.

Cell balancing as per manual.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources