question

drogos avatar image
drogos asked

Lynx Shunt SOC does not match consumed amp hours

Just got new Lynx Shunt, and a new battery setup. The battery bank was charged to 100% SOC before shunt was set up. The Lynx Shunt has been set to a battery capacity of 250Ah. The system has been left alone for a few days with a low load on it. Now the shunt reads 92% SOC and 38.4 consumed Amp hours. But, with 38.4Ah consumed from a battery with 250Ah SOC should be 84.64%, right? What did I miss here?

SOClynx shunt
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Drogos

So the capacity is rated at a certain current draw or C rate. At a low load you are likely way under that.

Draw lower than that the capacity of the battery is technically higher. So it is not exact maths. There is a peukerts exponent as well that will also affect how it all correlates. If you want it to have no effect on capacity set it to 1.

It may take one or two adjusments to get it right for your use.

What batteries do you have and what are your settings?

5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

drogos avatar image drogos commented ·
Heya! Thanks for quick answer! The batteries are Li-ion batteries (18cells). For the settings, I have not made any adjustments other than increased the Ah from the default 200Ah to 250Ah. I understand that the SOC is not exact, but should it ever state that 15% Ah use of max Ah capacity is only 8% from SOC viewpoint? I would be less surprised if it stated a higher SOC percent than Ah use
0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ drogos commented ·

As hinted by @Alexandra Peukert should be at 1.05 for LiFePO4.

Another thing to check. Most, if not all of the shunts have this. Not sure about Lynx, but I expect it's there.

Under battery settings is a current threshold. Currents lower than this are ignored. You can change the setting, try lowering it. .

2 Likes 2 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·

Probably take some time to get to know the settings and what they are used for.

For it to be accurate you need to customize it for your battery and use.

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Lynx_Shunt_VE.Can/en/battery-monitor-settings.html

1 Like 1 ·
drogos avatar image drogos Alexandra ♦ commented ·
Nice link, will use some time on testing here for sure, but looks very interesting!
0 Likes 0 ·
drogos avatar image drogos kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Thanks! I will be studying :)
1 Like 1 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Lynx Shunt VE Can online manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic