question

6ixgun avatar image
6ixgun asked

Why buy a Cerbo ?

We build overland van electrical systems - solar - battery - DCDC charging, and shore power. I use Victron products almost exclusively and know most of them fairly well. For the most part less is more on these builds , but lately I am getting more than a few requests for remote montitoring options as many people store their vans and want to keep an eye on their battery state / security cams etc while they are not there. Most of my builds have an LTE modem with WiFi, multiple security cams and we use either a Victron or Simarine Pico BMS. We have been using IP22, MPPT 100 | 30 and Orion Smart devices. After looking at the CERBO device , it seems like a great option to use to tie all the products together, so I decided to purchase one and do some experimentation on . Sadly, I immediately discovered it is ABSOLUTELY USELESS with most Victron products - especially all those above that have V.E. Network capability. Why ?

I guess the glaring question I have here is if Victron has gone through the trouble of allowing comms with smart devices through the VE Network , why didn't they tie that also to the CERBO ? There are many benefits of being able to remote control, setup or monitor the devices above and many would like to do so- except they can't. To make matters worse, it seems that the VE Network really does not do much either. I had all the devices that support it tied to a network and I did not see one single thing that would be of use for my customers.

So - if one is outfitting a Prevost and spending $10K in power gear the Cerbo might work on those devices - but the rest of the Victron product line is severly lacking support for it so if we are using IP and Orion chargers we are out of luck on remote monitoring ?

Bluetooth
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
@6ixgun

The VE Network is designed for those who have a simple system and dont need much more than voltage and temperature compensation and basic monitoring.

The Cerbo now has the power to combine information for much larger systems. It also uses cable connections which is much more reliable than BT when more devices are involved.

The Cerbo opens up much more powerful monitoring (including bigger systems with inverters and this is really more what it is designed for) and system control especially if using Ruuvi sensor and Node Red. More complex relay and alerts can be setup just on the basic OS.

That being said, Pi is an option, there are some mods on guthub to BT stuff into the system for remote monitoring, if that is what you want to sell.

You haven't even scratched the surface of what a cerbo can do yet. Yet maybe a little unnecessary for a 3 Victron product setup.

2 Likes 2 ·
6ixgun avatar image 6ixgun Alexandra ♦ commented ·

Thanks - yeah kind of a shame - seems that Victron could see a lot more sales if they put their heads into it. No one really makes a simple system for REMOTE monitoring - its all a fragmented mess. I guess the only real option for me at this point is Raspberry Pi & Signal K if I want to achieve what I want.

Unless I can repurpose the Cerbo I'll probably return it.

0 Likes 0 ·
hjohnson avatar image hjohnson commented ·
Hmm? Cerbo talks just fine with the MPPT, just hook up the ve.direct cable and away you go. As far as the BMS goes, you will need one that communicates over either ve.bus or CAN, or failing that you can use a smartshunt with a drop in battery. Yeah, the Orions are fairly dumb devices that don’t integrate very well.

On my boat, I’m using a REC ABMS for my battery, a Wakespeed WS500 for my alternator, and a multiplus inverter/charger. I also control an Orion via one of the relays to keep my starter battery topped up.

I’m also using it to watch my potable water tanks, blackwater tank, fuel tank, bilge levels, and temperature/humidity/barometer in the cabin.

The Cerbo integrates all of this together beautifully, and makes it remotely monitorable/controllable through vrm. It’s a fantastic piece of kit.

1 Like 1 ·
5 Answers
oldwave avatar image
oldwave answered ·

I use the Cerbo to monitor temperature, propane levels, mppt, soc and my multiplus. The only dissatisfaction I have is the lack of monitoring of the Orion dc to dc. However that is less of an issue as it’s an rv and is only active while towing. Still I’d like to see it’s integration through its Bluetooth interface for historic charge data. They can do,it with third party Bluetooth devices like the ruuvi tags and the mopeka, not sure why they haven’t with their own devices.

The Cerbo has lots of usefulness, I’m going to enable it to trigger a small cooling fan,

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6ixgun avatar image
6ixgun answered ·

The first company to get a baseline remote monitoring and management suite right will most likely dominate the industry - I am really actually shocked that Victron has not added this function to all their products. I can buy a $35 WYZE cam that has full internet connectivity and admim - but a $500 worth of sophisticated RV power supplies do not. Spins my head.

1 comment
2 |3000

pau1phi11ips avatar image pau1phi11ips commented ·

My Cerbo connects to the van's Wifi.
It monitors:

• 24V Lithium battery Temp & SOC
  • Starter battery voltage
  • Inverter/Charger status
  • Solar output
  • Cold, Hot and Waste tank levels
  • Inside, Outside and Fridge temperature.

And it managers charging the battery at night on the cheap rate and discharging back into my house during the day.

Seems pretty well integrated to me.

Not quite sure what you're asking for. You want Victron to manage the net connection too? Other systems are way better suited to the task of the net connection.

1 Like 1 ·
Trevor Bird avatar image
Trevor Bird answered ·

I think the CerboGx is an amazingly inexpensive device for the functions it can perform. It is unfortunate that it cannot report the status of the Orion which I think may be resolved in time but curently the Orion out on its own. The CerboGx with access to VRM is an amazing product in my view.

2 |3000

6ixgun avatar image
6ixgun answered ·

I tried to like it - the interface was remedial and slow. It did not work with ANY of my victron devices either and its not wireless. I am sure it has some use, I just could not find any. I could not even use the relays they did not show up in the menu and the docs were very vague on how to use them. I sent it back to Amazon. I ended up simply installing an Android tablet in the van and leaving it on - and then remote controlling it via the AirDroid / Air Mirror app in order to remote control my entire setup. SO much nicer, I just use all the native apps and I can control everything just like I was actually there ! I can even read my battery BMS and SOC remotely. Amazing.

3 comments
2 |3000

ejrossouw avatar image ejrossouw commented ·

You were clearly trying to use a product for things other than its intended primary purpose in a Victron system and clearly did not spend enough time making sure it could do what you wanted before simply being one of the typical "wasteful marketplace regular returns customers". A minute with a distributor / dealer or even a question on here could have saved you a lot of time and wasted breath! I manage a Victron system 6000kms away over GSM and can remotely configure MPPTs, have a very good view on the system and battery as well as can configure / update firmware etc. on all the components including the inverter, MPPT and GX device remotely. It also offers a wi-fi hotspot you can log into and manage it via rconsole if there is no internet. A lot of noise from you without much substance if you ask me.tempsnip.jpg

1 Like 1 ·
tempsnip.jpg (135.2 KiB)
6ixgun avatar image 6ixgun ejrossouw commented ·

The ad on Amazon and several of the replies in the Q&A stated it was compatible with VE Networking and could manage devices through wireless. One guy even specifically said it worked with IP22 chargers. I bit. Well it isn't and they don't. Not my fault it wasn't advertised right. Not Victron's either, it was a lame reseller. Lesson learned. But I wanted to clear it up here before I returned it, sorry if I gave it a bad rap, I am sure it has its place in a high end system with a lot of the canbus or VE Direct items. It is definitely of NO USE in a VE Networked setup or with IP22 chargers.

0 Likes 0 ·
ejrossouw avatar image ejrossouw 6ixgun commented ·
Sadly it happens when dealing with "marketplace box shifters" and is now water under the bridge ;) Hopefully there will be lessons learned from it. PS - Victron probably offers some of the most comprehensive document libraries, training videos etc. unlike anything I have ever seen and is always worth consulting prior to a purchase given you clearly are "into" the technology and making the most of it.
0 Likes 0 ·
oldwave avatar image
oldwave answered ·

Sounds like you have your solution. enough said

2 |3000